hijacked email/inbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TEW999

I have a very large address book (5GB) and all my contacts are receiving an email three times a day from me with a strange link to a nowhere page. I have a sbcglobal.net account but I use Outlook exclusively to send and receive emails. I have run my norton anti-virus, increased my windows firewall, adware software, etc to no avail. Each tell me my computer is clean with no problems. The address book that is sending the emails is Outlook. There are no contacts in the sbcglobal.net account. sbcglobal.net uses yahoo.com so the problem doesn't seem to be with yahoo. This is a new laptop with windows7. Can someone please tell me how to stop this nighmare? My friends and business associates are screaming with all my junk in their inbox. i have changed the password and have a complicated to specification password. I have run out of software to run and places to check for problems. I need help fast! Thanks for your quick response.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

...also, do you see these outgoing messages in your Sent Items folder?

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Hmmm. O.K. try the online scanner. Are you sure that ALL of your contacts are getting these, or is it just some subset of them? Is it possible somebody got your address book somewhere else? The messages could be originating from another machine - spoofing your from address.

T

TEW999

Thanks for the link. your right, Norton doesn't catch everything. I will add this to my arsenal. The response to my ESET scan was nothing was infected.

T

TEW999

I think you are correct. I think it must be from another computer. The only place my contacts reside are in Outlook 2007. It is not some subset though. I don't have any groups for distribution list set-up in yahoo or outlook. It appears all the contacts are receiving. I have 100's of emails return from A-Z. It is treating each alphabit equally. That is why I don't know where else to look. Scans all show no infections, viruses, ad-ware, mal-ware, etc.

I contacted yahoo and they told me to get anti-virus software and use their server direct. I hate their primitive email software! They gave me no resolution that I haven't tried many times already. Any other suggestions?

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

If the mails are originating from another computer using Yahoo!'s server wouldn't make any difference. If the contacts are receiving the messages every day then an easy test would be to leave your computer turned off for a day (over the weekend for example). If they still get the messages even when your machine is off then clearly they're not coming from your machine.

Is it possible that somebody else got a copy of your e-mail address book?

Status
Not open for further replies.