Outlook doesn't close. Cannot open outlook without going to task manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joaneb

I had Office 2007 installed; was asked if I wanted files compressed; I agreed. After that, Outlook stayed open in the background. It appeared to shut down, but I could not reopen. Going to task manager processes showed Outlook as open. I had to use task manager to close Outlook before I could open. Thought my Outlook had become corrupted, so I purchased Office 2010. The same thing is happening. I cannot completely close Outlook without going into task manager. Outlook EXE shows with administrator as user.. each time, AFTER I have ostensibly closed outlook. Has anyone else had the problem and have you been able to correct it. Tech. expert went in and changed profile; it worked for about 3 uses and then same problem came back. Thanks...

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Does this happen even if you start Outlook in Safe Mode? (hold down CTRL while you click the icon) See if this helps:http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol.htm#safe

That usually happens because of a misbehaving add-in or maybe because your antivirus software is keeping the PST file open. Do you have a mobile device like an iPhone that you sync with Outlook by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.