New Exchange 2010 setup with two domains and Error in setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

owblue

So I started installing Exchange today. I did the schema updates and prepare alldomain command. I have now attempted to run the setup and ran into a problem. My domain has a _ in the domain. From what I have read, it seems like the only options are to change my domain name, or add a new domain tree?? Companya_local is where I ran all the updates and started the install. Companyb, does not have the underscore in it's domain name. I was thinking of installing Exchange in that domain, however, Companyb is a sister company of Companya_local and I'm not sure about how NDR's are configured. Would NDR messages that are for Companya_local appear as if they are from Companyb? If so, is there a way around this? My other issue is that if Companyb was sold, then I would still have an Exchange server in that domain. So maybe it would make since to create another domain tree.

When creating a new domain tree, does this mean I have to import all users to this domain? How would I configure my mail from Companya_local and Companyb?

Thanks in advance for the assistance. I'm really at a loss here and am not sure what to do at this point. I think it would be too much of a pain to rename the existing domain.

L

lAdK

Hi

1. the NDRs are all sent from one single address "the postmaster" and it can be changed http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb430765.aspx however you cannot specify an address for each domain

2. if companyb was sold you are in bigger problems than exchange since you are adding a domain to your forest there is no simple way of disconnecting it and let it run by itself, if companyb is sold you will need to migrate all its users to a brand new domain/forest and you will inherit their domain b

Full time IT consultant since 1998 mainly on Exchange\ISA\AD MCSE NT4.0,2000/2003, CCNA MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007/2010 MCT since 2001

O

owblue

So if I do decide to place Exchange in the companyb domain, can I have the postmaster for NDR address set to anything even another domain name? I worried about users getting an NDR from our sister company.

When exchange is installed, How do I add the companya_local accounts to exchange? Currently, I cannot see the AD accounts from each domain unless I manually change the domain.

Since I already ran prepareall domains, do I need to run again in Company B's domain? In Companya_local, I see that a MS Exchange Security Group was created, but I don't see this in companyB.

L

lAdK

yes you should be able to change your postmaster address to any of the authoritative domains

once exchange is installed and you run /preparealldomains you should be able to create mailboxes for users in both domains and, yes, you will need to specify in which domain

no if you have run /preparealldoamins that's it you don't need to run it again, the exchange groups are created in the root forest

Full time IT consultant since 1998 mainly on Exchange\ISA\AD MCSE NT4.0,2000/2003, CCNA MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007/2010 MCT since 2001

Status
Not open for further replies.