The file C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is in use and cannot be accessed.

• Thread starter Max Wall
  • Start date Views 4,796
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Max Wall

When I tried to delete all items in the computers" “sent” or “deleted” or “calendar” categories, I got the following message:

The file C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again. You might need to restart your computer.

I did this many times, and even deleted the "backup" file from the computer, but it still did not work.

Please help!

G

GordonBP

When I tried to delete all items in the computers" “sent” or “deleted” or “calendar” categories,

I don't understand what you mean by that. The only way of deleting items from a pst file (AFAIK) is from within Outlook.

You need to be much more specific on what you are ACTUALLY trying to do and how you are actually trying to do it.

If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

M

Max Wall

I have two computers, and I usually take a backup from Outlook on Computer " A" to import into Outlook on Computer " B" (a smaller computer used when travelling), and I have been doing this sucessfully for a few years now.

On this occasion, the files on Computer " B" were incomplete: no Sent items were imported, and I couldnt find any info in Contacts. I decided to go to Inbox, Sent items, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks and in each catagory use 'select all' then ;delete'. Whilst i was able to delete some files, I could not delete all of them, and when I tried to 'empty the Deleted Items' I was not able to, and got the message:

The file C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again. You might need to restart your computer.

I tried this many times, but still am unable to empty the 'Deleted items' folder. When I try in 'Sent items' to 'select all' and 'delete' I get a message '" Errors have been detected in the file C\Users\user\Local Microsoft\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in file" .

Your help in enabling me to use Outlook again on my Computer " B" would be much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.