Moved mailboxes now Disconnected and I cannot reconnect

• Thread starter DarrenWCC
  • Start date Views 3,916
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DarrenWCC

Hello all

I work at a school. We recently upgraded from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. We have moved all staff and student accounts from the old to the new server (after much fussing - see previous post if interested).

For some reason, 65 of our many student accounts moved successfully and appeared initially in the Recipient Configuration - Mailbox area of the EMC. However, this morning, those accounts have moved to the Disconnected Mailbox area. I have tried to reconnect by right-clicking and selecting " Connect" but as I step through the wizard, I cannot select the user account name as a " Matching User" (account name does not seem to exist when I search) or " Existing" user (their name is not in the list).

I have confirmed that the AD account still DOES exist and can login. However, when they open Outlook, it cannot resolve the account name.

I tried to Create New Mailbox for an " Existing User" but I could not find the various user accounts in the available list. I then tried to create a New Mailbox for a " New User" and used one of the offending account names. At the end when I selected to create, I got an error that basically said that " The value <name> of property " SamAccountname" is used by another recipient object... Please specify a unique value" .

What has happened to these 65 account mailboxes and how can I reconnect them to their valid and live accounts?

Thanks for everything.
Darren

G

Gulab Mallah

:) I know why you don't see them in existing users, cause those users already have mailbox assinged which is on Exchange 2003.

Search the user and you will find them as legacy user, do see those users on 2003?
Run cleanup Agent on 2003 mailboxes and reconnect them again on 2003 and then try to move them back.
Cheers,
-Gulab

D

DarrenWCC

Hey again Gulab

On the Exch 2003 server, there are no mailboxes at all under the old server " Mailboxes" area. However, I went into AD users & Computers and removed " Exchange Attrributes" from one of the affected users. I then " Run Cleanup Agent" in ESM on Exch 2003 server. However, since were no mailboxes to start with, none have appeared for further processing.

On the Exch 2010 server, under " Disconnected Mailbox" it does list the LegacyDN for each user account as pointing to the old server.

These 65 users also no longer appear under " Mailbox" on the new server as either a " Legacy Mailbox" or " User Mailbox" .

Thanks
Darren

G

Gulab Mallah

Hi,

Okay, do one thing, Recepient Config--->Mailbox---In the Action Pan, Search for any user from those 65 and you will see them, Right Click on it and click on Disable and run the command
Clean-Mailbox Database -Identity " Name of the server\Mailbox Database ######" and Enter
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124076.aspx

Check in Disconnected mailbox and try to connect that same user I am sure that you will be able to connect or Assign new mailbox for the user.

Cheers,
-Gulab
m_gulab@hotmail.com

D

DarrenWCC

Hello again

The users do NOT appear in the " Recipient Configuration - Mailbox" area at all. They appear only in " Disconnected Mailbox" . Therefore, I cannot click on Disable for each or any accounts. I did run thte Clean-Mailbox command but that did not change my situation. When I try to reconnect the mailbox, I have the same problem as before - the account name is not available for selection.

It is as if the Mailbox connections have been completely severed. The account still exists in AD.

Thanks
Darren

D

DarrenWCC

I have also tried to create a new Mailbox for one of the users (while their other Mailbox is in the Disconnected area) However, at the end of the wizard, I get the error:
The value " xxxxxx" of property " SamAccountName" is used by another recipient object " <Domain OU path>/xxxxxx" . Please specify a unique value.

It knows the account already exists in AD but there is some corruption somewhere (the name xxxxxx above is the same in the two spots I have indicated).

I tried to remove the account from the Disconnected Mailbox area by running the cmdlet:
Remove-Mailbox -Database " E14 Mailbox DB Name" -StoreMailboxIdentity " MailboxGuid" -Confirm:$False
from http://msexchangehelp.wordpress.com/2010/03/03/how-to-remove-disconnected-mailboxes-in-exchange-server-2010/ but that also did not work - it deleted the GUID but achieved nothing else to resolve my problem.

D

DarrenWCC

What I am doing now to get around the problem is to copy various details within ADSIEDIT from a valid account to the " Disconnected" accounts. This results in a new empty mailbox and an entry in the " Maibox" folder under Recipients. The Disconected Mailbox entry is still there but I guess it is now associated with some other user account and will be purged in time.

The ADSI fields I am copying are:
homeMDB
homeMTA
legacyExchangeDN
mail
mailNickname
mDBUseDefaults
msExchHomeServerName
and that seems to do the trick.

If other ideas are forthcoming before I finish this time-consuming process, I would sure appreciate them.

Thanks

G

Gulab Mallah

Lets run this command one more time if you have run it before

Clean-Mailbox Database

Try to connect the mailboxes and post the result.

-Gulab

D

DarrenWCC

Gulab, I appreciate your continued advice and assistance. Unfortunately in this case, nothing seems to work.

I have started the process of manually updating all user details via ADSIEDIT and will keep going with that method. The users are Yr6 students so should not have anything too important.

Thanks
Darren

D

DarrenWCC

This issue has been resolved but I cannot mark it as so. My solution is a few posts up dated " Monday, October 18, 2010 4:04 AM" . Can someone please mark that as the solution?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.