Deleted User Recreated but Can’t Get E-mail From All Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnny-dog

Deleted User Recreated but Can’t Get E-mail From All Users

Greetings;

One of our users was deleted via EMC remove mailbox. The user was recreated in Active Directory and a new mailbox was created for the user in EMC. Most of our staff get a message undeliverable response from the server when they attempt to email the user. The message contains the error, “The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.”

Here is where it gets even stranger. If the user who has been deleted and recreated sends an e-mail to a person who can"t send to the recreated user and that person then replies to the e-mail, then that person can send to the user without any problems.

We are running Exchange 2010 SP1.

Can anyone help me with this?

Johnny-dog Duane Rice

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Re: Deleted User Recreated but Can’t Get E-mail From All Users

Cached Outlook Entry. Have users pick the mail account explcitly from the GAL and test.

They can also delete any auto-complete entry when it pops up when entering the users name in the TO: .

You could add the old legacyExchangeDN of the mailbox as a x500 Custom Address of the new mailbox.

R

Rajith Enchiparambil

The error message will have an X500 address. Add it to the user's email address as an X500 address.
That will solve the issue from the server side or get the senders to pickup the user from GAL.

Recreating the user and giving the email address WON'T make internal emails work. There will be bounces at times, depending upon the sender.

External emails will be fine.

Rajith Enchiparambil | http://www.howexchangeworks.com |

J

Johnny-dog

The error message will have an X500 address. Add it to the user's email address as an X500 address.
That will solve the issue from the server side or get the senders to pickup the user from GAL.

I am not exactly sure how to do this. I beleive that the part of the error you reference is:

IMCEAEX-_O=GAMMA+20PHI+20BETA+20EXCHANGE+20ORGANIZATION_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28FYDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=Dori+20Neff@gammaphibeta.org

K

Khoj Sahiwala

The users are using Offline address book which an old entry we same e-mail address.This has the e-mail address( x.500) which is deleted hence it bounces back.

By the time OAB is updated and clients get updated OAB with new account this error phase out.

also if the client send the mail to every user and they REPLY ( which would somehow cache in their address list is fine ) else you may need users to get update OAB or may need to change X.500 property with the smtp address.

J

Johnny-dog

Looking in ADSI Edit, I noticed something strange; there are extra characters (underlined) in the " problem" entry's legacyExchangeDN attribute. Below is a normal working entry, followed by the entry for the person who isn't working.
/o=Gamma Phi Beta Exchange Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=Allie Winter /o=Gamma Phi Beta Exchange Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=Dori Neff1adea201

Should I use ADSI Edit to remove the 1adea201 from the end of Dori Neff's entry?

S

Steve Goodman

Looking in ADSI Edit, I noticed something strange; there are extra characters (underlined) in the " problem" entry's legacyExchangeDN attribute. Below is a normal working entry, followed by the entry for the person who isn't working.
/o=Gamma Phi Beta Exchange Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=Allie Winter /o=Gamma Phi Beta Exchange Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=Dori Neff1adea201

Should I use ADSI Edit to remove the 1adea201 from the end of Dori Neff's entry?
No, don't use ADSI edit to alter the legacyExchangeDN.

As Andy says add the correct entry as an X500 address - To do this, open the recipient in Exchange Management Console, go to the E-Mail Address tab, click on the drop-down next to " Add" and choose " Custom Address" .

Enter " /o=Gamma Phi Beta Exchange Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=Dori Neff" in the E-mail Address field, and then enter " X500" in the E-Mail type field.

BTW, you can do this at the Exchange Management Console using a command like:

Set-Mailbox " Dori Neff" -EmailAddresses (((Get-Mailbox " Dori Neff" ).EmailAddresses)+=" X500:/o=Gamma Phi Beta Exchange Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=Dori Neff" )

The above is useful if you have a few to do.

Steve

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

A

Allen Song

Hi,

For this issue, please understand that the mailbox still exists in the Mailbox Database (30 days by default) even though you delete the user account in EMC. That means the relevant attributes still are using for that user, like LegacyExchangeDN.

Thus, when you recreate the new user account with the same name as previous one, the LegcyExchangeDN will be different. But the Outlook still uses the old LegacyExchangeDN as X500 in the Cache to send the email for that user when sending the new mail.

The Andy and Steve provide the right solution for this issue.

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song

J

Johnny-dog

Thank you all for your help. I actually ended up having to make two X500 entries for the user before everyone was able to send her e-mail again.
" /o=Gamma Phi Beta Exchange Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=Dori Neff" " /o=Gamma Phi Beta Exchange Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=dneff"

S

Steve Goodman

No probs,

BTW, you may want to edit the org name and Dori's name in your posts otherwise if Dori google's herself she'll find her IT admin posting about fixing her email problem ;-)

Steve

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.