Exchange 2003/2010 external mail routing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Ben_22

Hi all,
Exchange 2003 Cluster and a new Exchange 2010 enviornment with a 2 server CAS array and 2 DAG members (to be extened after testing). 2 HT's each co-lated with the CAS's.

Created a interop routing group connector between the environments, which is working fine. The cost on this connector has been set to 10.

The existing Exchange 2003 environment has a outbound SMTP connector with a cost of 1, scope set to " *" .

The new Exchange 2010 environment has a send connector (going through the same gateway) with a cost of 20, scope also set to " *"

Currently there are no users on the 2010 environment apart from test users, and we would like all mail flow to continue through existing routes for the moment (i.e. the 2003 internet connector)

Oddly, we are seeing all mail (from both the 2003 and 2010 environment) be routed through the 2010 send connector (Cost of 30, as opposed to cost of 1). WinRoute on 2003 confirms that all the costs have been correctly seen by the routing table - but the only way weve been able to get it to route via the 2003 internet connector is by deleting the 2010 send connector.

Have i missed something funky between 2003/2010 in regards to cost being calculated differently ?

S

Steve Goodman

Hiya,

Mail routing in Exchange 2010 is based on Active Directory sites and AD site cost. I'd recommend only keeping the Exchange 2010 send connector.

Steve

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

B

Ben_22

Hey Steve,
fair enough, but that still doesnt cover why Exchange 2003 mailboxes, who see the connector costs are routing out via the Exchange 2010 connector.

We will be swapping over to this connector eventually - but in the mean time, we'd really like our mail to flow out the right connector!

S

Steve Goodman

Status
Not open for further replies.