Unable to create or modify mailboxes in Exchange 2010 after modifying AD with ADSIEDIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sjc85

We are currently running Exchange with 5 servers, one being an Edge server.

I have recently performed some work on our main Exchange 2010 server which hosts the Public Folders Database, as it had become corrupted. I finally managed to mount a backup copy of this database on Monday morning, however I then found that they were'nt able to send or receive mail. I then googled the errors I was getting and found that a fix was to delete the " CN=Servers" container which contained our legacy Ex2003 server, which I did from the following location in ADSIEDIT:

CN=Configuration, CN=Services, CN=Microsoft Exchange, CN=Administrative Groups, CN=myadministrativegroup

I was then receiving futher errors when attempting to send mail to our public folders, and after using the " Message Tracking tool" in the EMC toolbox, I found that is was being queued on another server, so I deleted this server from the following container in ADSIEDIT:

CN=Configuration, CN=Services, CN=Microsoft Exchange, CN=Administrative Groups, CN=Exchange Administrative Group, CN=Servers

This appeared to resolved my issues as mail was now being delivered to the public folders following the recovery, however I've not found that I can no longer create a new Public folder, mailbox, email address etc on my Exchange server.

The server which I deleted from the above (2nd ADSIEDIT path) was actually the server which holds the Arbitration mailboxes. I am now receiving the following errors in Event Viewer on my primary Exchange server:

Event ID: 2937 - Process: mad.exe - The details of this have a reference to: domainname /Configuration/Deleted Objects/Public Folder Store (Name of Deleted Legacy 03 server)

Event ID: 5006 - Cannot find route to Mailbox server....then provides AD path to (arbitration) server I removed in ADSIEDIT

Event ID: 2159 - There are various errors for this ID, with the following processes: Microsoft.Exchange.RpcClientAccess.Service.exe
w3wp.exe
MSExchangeMailSubmission.exe

These all refer to the arbitration server that was deleted in ADSIEDIT!

I presume that I need to get both deleted servers back into AD from where they were deleted, can you please tell me how I can do this? OR if this can be resolved any other way, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks, sjc85

S

Steve Goodman

Hi sjc85,

Your first port of call might be to reanimate the tombstone objects (" undelete" ). This article shows you how to find, then recover using adrestore.

Steve

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

S

sjc85

Hi sjc85,

Your first port of call might be to reanimate the tombstone objects (" undelete" ). This article shows you how to find, then recover using adrestore.

Steve

Steve Goodman

Thanks for your swift response Steve, much appreciated and very helpful. However I am unable to see the objects that I have deleted within these results. Any advice?

Scott

S

Steve Goodman

Hi Scott,

Is the servers you delted the Exchange org objects for still actually in place, or were they removed prior to this issue?

If you want to restore those objects, the next point of call would be an authoratitive restore. Do you have backups of the AD, as you could next try to mark the deleted objects as authoratitive in a restore using ntdsutil. More info .

Steve

Steve Goodman

S

sjc85

Hi Scott,

Is the servers you delted the Exchange org objects for still actually in place, or were they removed prior to this issue?

If you want to restore those objects, the next point of call would be an authoratitive restore. Do you have backups of the AD, as you could next try to mark the deleted objects as authoratitive in a restore using ntdsutil. More info .

Steve

Steve Goodman
Thanks again Steve.

One of the servers' (arbitration) that I deleted the Exchange org object of is still in place yes.

I have built up an isolated test environment with all the Exchange and AD servers within it, including a backup of one DC containing the " deleted objects" .

I have basically booted this backup version of the DC into Directory Services Restore Mode and I've performed an authoritative restore of the object like so:

restore subtree " CN=EXServerName, CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=domainname ,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=domain,DC=domain" verinc

NTDSUTIL confirmed that the authoritative restore was successfully completed and an object (text file) and an LDIF (.ldf file) were both generated.
I presume that I will need to perform some form of an Import using this LDF file using LDIFDE.exe, is this correct? If so Can you please confirm how I can do this as I've tried and it failed!!

Many Thanks, Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.