How Do I Minimize Outlook to System Tray at Startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolx

I got 3 questions:

1) How do I get outlook 2010 to minimize in the system tray at startup? Is VBA code, like, Autoexec command needed for this?

2) How can I get outlook 2010 to send email attachments from word without it opening up?

3) Everytime I click on an online link to add an appointment to my calendar, an appointment window pops up ALONG WITH, unfortunately, Outlook 2010 itself. Its very annoying. I just want to see the appointment window, not Outlook itself. How can I do this?

> ..

Forum Admin

1. Is the shortcut set to start minmized and outlook configured to minimize to tray?

2. Without opening Outlook? You can't - it needs to be loaded to send mail. You can try fooling outlook by immediately trying to send a second message - after hittng Send on the email, hit Send as attachment again and keep the message form open a few minutes (longer if you don't use send immediately). Close the message form to close outlook. This works for some account types, but not all, so it may not work for you.

Forum Admin

oops, forgot #3.... is outlook open? You should only get the appointment, not outlook. If outlook is not open, you can't use the link without forcing outlook open, so the behavior is normal.

koolx

oops, forgot #3.... is outlook open? You should only get the appointment, not outlook. If outlook is not open, you can't use the link without forcing outlook open, so the behavior is normal.

Is it possible to use 'Autoexec' in VBA to force Outlook to not pop up when the appointment window pops up?

Also, are you sure theres no way to start Outlook and minimize it to the system tray when the computer boots up? there could be a VBA code for that. I need that.

> ..

Forum Admin

I don't think you can minimize outlook to the tray using VBA - you can use a shortcut with start mimimized selected in the Startup folder to minimize it to the taskbar but not to the tray.

AFAIK, you can't use VBA to keep the main window from loading (and start minimized won't help since clicking on am ics loads the exe directly), but you should ask programming questions in the msdn forums - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlookdev They would know the answers to both questions for sure.

koolx

I don't think you can minimize outlook to the tray using VBA - you can use a shortcut with start mimimized selected in the Startup folder to minimize it to the taskbar but not to the tray.

AFAIK, you can't use VBA to keep the main window from loading (and start minimized won't help since clicking on am ics loads the exe directly), but you should ask programming questions in the msdn forums - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlookdev They would know the answers to both questions for sure.

Thanks for the reply, slipstick. I tried going to the link you provided but the webpage gives me this error response:

'Server Error in '/Forums' Application.'

Forum Admin

It worked just now so it looks like it was a transient error. Try it again and it should work. *fingers crossed*

koolx

Hey, slipstick, wassup?.. I know that shortcut already. It wont minimize outlook itself to the system tray, only to the task bar.

I have a VBA code that does work. It minimizes Outlook to the system tray. But it pops up in full view for a few secs before it disappears and the appoinment window pops up. This is desired except for the fact tha I dont want to see Outlook on my screen, even for a few secs.

Also, the link you posted doesn't work.

> ..

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
the link works here - unless its something with the /en-us/ path and you aren't using english browser.

We aren't programming experts (obviously!) and you'll need to find out from expects if its possible to keep outlook completely hidden. You can try the forums at outlookcode.com but the msdn forums have more traffic.

koolx

the link works here - unless its something with the /en-us/ path and you aren't using english browser.

We aren't programming experts (obviously!) and you'll need to find out from expects if its possible to keep outlook completely hidden. You can try the forums at outlookcode.com but the msdn forums have more traffic.

thanks, man. i appreciate it.

davidhur

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
On your question # 2, in Word you can add an icon to the ribbon to"send a copy" of the doc. When this icon is clicked, you will see several options includes using Outlook that when clicked opens automatically ready for you to add the recipient's details.

Status
Not open for further replies.