Greyed out Filter-EMail button

• Thread starter MarkAntonyYoung
  • Start date Views 10,685
M

MarkAntonyYoung

Rolling out Office 2010 Pro Plus and we are finding some users not able to use the Filter E-Mail button, its greyed out, somebody else posted a similar question last month which i believe has been wrongly marked as fixed, anybody got any idea how to enable this function or why its disabled?

Thanks

Mark

M

MarkAntonyYoung

Hi Ben,

Played around with the views, currently using Compact view, also switched to Single and Preview but still the button is greyed out.

Tried Safe mode as suggested, thanks for the tip (also checked out the link), but again the button is greyed out.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks

Mark

M

MarkAntonyYoung

Connecting to Exchange 2010 environment.

Deleted and recreated my profile, no effect, button is still greyed out.

M

MarkAntonyYoung

No joy i'm afraid, tried the cleanviews switch. I'm guessing deleting and recreating my Outlook profile would have had the same effect of resetting the views.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

If you go to View | View Settings | Filter can you turn on a filter that way? (just testing to see if it works at all)

M

MarkAntonyYoung

Successfully applied an unread email filter via the view settings. It seems like it's either a part off the install that's missing, a reg key or some part of outlooks config.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Try resetting the Ribbon. Right-click in the Ribbon, choose " Customize..." on the Customize Dialog box you should find a Reset button at the lower right.

M

MarkAntonyYoung

Reset the ribbon, still greyed out. How would you go about trying to disable this function? The button is visible and in it's default location, it's just not clickable.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Honestly not sure - never tried to disable Filter from the Ribbon before. Have you tried a repair install of Office 2010? Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Office 2010 | Change/Repair....

M

MarkAntonyYoung

Yes, tried removing and reinstalling Office, uninstall leaves some registry\ config info, when i reinstalled office the Outlook profile was retained.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

O.K., let me escalate this one and see if somebody higher up the food chain than I am has an idea.

M

MarkAntonyYoung

ANSWER

The Filter E-Mail button requires Microsoft Search to be installed.

Thanks for your help Ben.

Regards

Mark