'Last Changed' field in field chooser for pasted objects?

• Thread starter Chuck Tomlinson
  • Start date Views 599
C

Chuck Tomlinson

If I have a .txt file, for instance, saved on my desktop and want to keep it in an Exchange folder, I can copy the file itself, then Edit|Paste it into the folder in Outlook.. that works.

The thing is that in my Reading Pane there's a 'Last Changed' field in the header details that has the actual last changed date of the pasted file, but I can't seem to find the associated field in field chooser so I can stick it in my columns view..

The following fields show the date/time I pasted it in: Received, Created, Sent, Modified.

These fields show 'None': Creation Time, Start, Start Date, Last Saved Time,

A couple other fields just show blank, like Document Saved, for instance..

I've gone through all the fields that look pertinent but can't find it -- can anyone help me out?

Chuck.

I've tried Received, Edit Time

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

You pasted it as a text file stored in the mailbox, not as content pasted into a post form? Last changed time should be the same as the last modified time and as you edit and save the file, it should update provided the changes are saved back to the copy in the folder. Note that this last modified time refers to when you created or edited it in the public folder, not when you created the file on your hard drive.

The other document property fields are for office documents that are routed - I've never seen data in the fields, even with all the properties in a word doc filled in.

C

Chuck Tomlinson

Yes.

Try it.. Find a text file or something that you modified before today, right-click in your explorer window & copy, then get into Outlook and be viewing a folder, then Edit | Paste from the menu.. it'll show up in the list of folder items as a txt icon with the subject being the filename..

Now make sure your reading pane is on and click on the pasted item in the list. You'll see that there are two fields in the header of the reading pane: Size, and Last Changed

Can I get at the Last Changed so I can sort my folder and have it show up where it should? i.e. not right at the top of the list?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

I do it all the time with files in public folders. :)

Last changed in the reading pane is modified in the list view but the list view can't read the properties, so it uses the date you added it to the folder. The reading pane can read some document types and their properties and if so, can display the docs last modified date. If you open the file and hit save, the last changed will equal the last modified.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Exchange Server Questions 1