best rule/macro to send emails from many people/orgs to same folder

• Thread starter lemon scented
  • Start date Views 634
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lemon scented

I would like to set up a rule so that all emails that are informational only go to the same folder. The list of senders that should be included in this rule will change daily as new emails are received.

I tried doing this in with distribution list but received a message that this can't be done with a private distribution list but that the names within that distribution list can be individually listed.

So, now when I want to add addresses to this rule, I need to save each email address and either add them individually to the rule list (which is cumbersome) or save the address, add it to the distribution list, delete all the addresses in the rule list, and add the updated distribution list, which will then be saved by individual name (this is also cumbersome).

There must be an easier way to do something that is such a common task without requiring so many steps.

By the way, the reason for continuing to work with the distribution list is that the DL enables us to see who is in the list without having to scroll through all of the individual names in the rule list (why doesn't Outlook enable us to see those names without scrolling through a long line?).

Any suggestions for rules and/or macros would be deeply appreciated.

R

Roady [MVP]

What is the origin of these messages?
If these are for instance for newsletters, then you can opt to create an alias for your mailbox and subscribe to the newsletters with that address. Then you only need to a single rule;
if message is sent to <your newsletter address> move the message to the Newsletters folder.

L

lemon scented

The list will be constantly changing as I get on more and more people's lists. Yes, I could write to many of them and request that my address be changed but that is a lot of effort. Isn't there an easy way to designate that I would like future incoming messages from this sender to go to this box?

R

Roady [MVP]

Yes, but as you already noticed yourself; that will require you to update the rule each time you subscribe to a new list. Using an alias would be a "future proof" solution. You can of course simply leave the rule as is for your already subscribed addresses and start using an alias for your new lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.