HELP IMPORTING DATA

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alarmed

Have purchased Outlook 2007 with business conatct manager and unable to import old pst file from Outlook 2003. So had file sent in Excel database, still cannot import file intact as only some of the fields are imported. Tried csv file from Excel and no-joy. Purchased Outlook 2010 (on laptop) but does not have contact manager. Completely lost in months of trying to get this needed data going.

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3

#1 - No need to <Import> a PST file. Should be able to simply go to File --> Open --> Outlook Data File. What you do after that depends on requirements

#2 - Re: importing from Excel (either worksheet or CSV).

Considering you're having issues of only "some of the fields" being imported in both cases - most likely cause is that you have not <manually mapped> all the required fields. This is done by clicking on the <Map Custom Fields> button at the appropriate point in the process and ensuring that the fields you want are mapped correctly.

"

A

Alarmed

Have tried manual mapping, if that's what it's called. But seems strange as I cannot find appropriate fiedls. Keeps saying that a paticular field is already in (forget title) and I can get no further. Been everywhere on web to find answers to no avail. Pehaps better to return all this expensive software as unusable?

A

Alarmed

When importing excel file mapping has F1 etc in left column F numbers are not in consecutive order and list on right does not seem to contain needed fields. Do I assume I move F1 (as first data column to right list and where/how would I place it next to if that's the proceedure?

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3

Re: field already in <forget title> - devil is in the details - impossible to remotely provide any kind of suggestion without specifics.

Do you have a <header row> with your file - the first row in the data that contains the field (column) names? It would be the first row in the CSV file and if using an Excel worksheet - need to ensure that this row is included in the <Named Range>

The fact that there are <F> fields showing up on the left hand side indicates that there is no header row in the worksheet. Any fields that are empty would be represented by <F#> fields. These empty fields would appear blank on the left hand side when importing it as a CSV file.

Re: software not being usable - can assure you that the import/export wizard in Outlook works perfectly without issues as long as a valid data file is being used.

"

A

Alarmed

Have various saved versions of Excel file. Read that I should delete all column titles prior to import. Have original files complete. Soory for being slightly vague in previous post, getting frustrated I guess, being trying this since August this year.

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3

Do provide the results of the import after using a file with column headers - should be a very, very quick process - certainly not something that should take the time that it has.

The quickest way to import the data - save the Excel worksheet (with header row) as a CSV file and import that - eliminates Excel out of the mix. Must admit, really puzzled why anyone would suggest eliminating column headers - makes absolutely no sense at all.

If you encounter any other errors trying to import the CSV file - be sure to post the complete error message(s). The most common causes of issues with CSV files are:

- missing field(column) names
- field(column) names that contain invalid characters
- mis-constructed data when multi-line fields are involved (which should not be an issue if the file was saved by Excel - can't say the same if it comes from somewhere else)

"

A

Alarmed

Started again. Seem to have a useable csv file that appears with corresponding (most ) list of mapped fields. List on left does not contain exact names for fields that I need to pull from left list to right column. When for example I wnat to find a NAME, ADDRESS, POSTAL CODE, CITY, TYPE, and ON-line DATE , I select MAP To A NEW FIELD, which will say ALREADY IN LIST??

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3

Let's start this from the beginning.....not sure of the terminology you are using
- useable csv file that appears with corresponding (most ) list of mapped fields.
- List on left does not contain exact names for fields that I need to pull from left list to right column.

#1 - The CSV file has a list of field names - not a question of <most> or <all> - field in file either exists or it doesn't
#2 - List of fields on left side (field names found in CSV file) are what they are, no such thing as <exact names> - nothing on the left side (CSV file field names) has to match the Outlook field names (list on right)
#3 - At a loss as to where you are seeing <Map to a new field> after clicking on the Map Custom Field button

Going on the basis that you have selected the CSV file you want to import and have clicked on the <Map Custom FIeld> button. This is being done via the following steps - correct? From Outlook menu
--> File
--> Import / Export
--> Import from another program or file
--> select your file type (CSV in this case)
--> Select your file (Brwose if necessary to ensure it's the
correct file
--> Select your contact folder
--> Click on MAP CUSTOM FIELDS on screen that appears
--> now in field map screen

- the list of field names on the left side are those in the CSV file
- drag the field name from the left side to the appropriate Outlook field on the right side - will only let you drag a field from the left side to the right side once
- continue doing this until completed

If you do not see the field names you want on the left side, then you have not selected the correct file - field names either exist or they don't in the file assuming that the first row in the file has the field names you want

"

A

Alarmed

Everything is as you say, Never see a "Map CUstom Field" entry or selection. When I have the CSV file selected in the " Business Data and Import " box, I either select Business Account or Account ( the two selections availiable) and then the next selection available is the Map Fields Box, which has the fields from CSV file in left, but inappropriate fields in right. NO WHERE IS?HAS THERE BEEN A SELECTION AVAILABLE TO "MAP CUSTOM FIELDS
"

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3

My mistake - totally missed the BCM component from the first message.

To that end - don't have an answer to the "inappropriate fields" portion since haven't used BCM in a very long time. However, though BCM '2007 hs two folders called "Accounts" and "Business Contacts" and assume that the folder you are looking to import to is "Business Contacts" which should have the fields you're looking for.

My apologies for the over-sight.

"

Status
Not open for further replies.