Outlook 2007 appears broken after Office 2010 uninstall: problem with MAPI and mspst.dll

• Thread starter Fullhammer
  • Start date Views 2,101
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fullhammer

Hi everyone,

As you know, the test period for the Office 2010 Beta has expired last week, and, because I was not willing to upgrade at the moment, I have uninstalled the suite via Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs. Everything seemed to work fine, and after a repair of Office 2007, which I had on my computer before Office 2010, to make sure everything was back to normal, the 2007 suite seemed to work fine. Word, Excel and all the other programs run normally, but for Outlook 2007, it's another story...

When I start Outlook, I first get the message saying that the profile was created with a newer version of Outlook, and that I should create another profile. Now I have two different cases:

If I select the profile I just created, a message box pops up saying that :" Cannot open your default email folders. Outlook cannot start because a data file to send and receive mail cannot be found. To add a data file, such as a personal folder file, double-click the Mail icon in the Control Panel" , and then Outlook closes instantly. I understand that this has something to do with a .pst file, but what I have to do with it? No idea. Also, if I create a new personal folder file, will I be able to transfer the data from the old personal folder file, which worked under Outlook 2010? If I select the " regular" profile (" Outlook" , in this case), a message saying " Cannot open your default email folders. An unexpected error has occured. MAPI was unable to load the information service mspst.dll. Be sure the service is correcly installed and configured." I googled a bit but found nothing about mspst.dll...

Also, please not that I don't have the installation disc anymore, because Office 2007 was installed when I got my computer made and the vendor did not give me any Office disk, only the OS one (Vista 32bit). I did also run Office Diagnostics Tool, without any success...

It is almost crucial that I get the data from the " old" .pst file back, so any help would be immensely appreciated!

Thank you very much,

Fullhammer

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

This is why we don't recommend people install beta software on production machines. :) O.k., lecture over...

To answer your first question - yes Outlook 2007 should be able to open and read the PST file from Outlook 2010. Follow the directions of the message, go to Control Panel | Mail applet, edit your new Outlook profile, go to the Data Files tab and point it to your PST file from Outlook 2010.

Hopefully that's all we'll have to do.

F

Fullhammer

Hi,

First of all, let me apologise for the late answer, I did not get a chance to go on this computer these last days.

So, when I do as you say and point the new account to use the .pst data file, a message box pops up saying " This information service is not installed on your computer" , and the Mail applet returns to the previous window where I can select a data file.

What would be the next thing to do?

Thank you very much for your time,

Fullhammer

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Ugh. We're seeing this more often. You can try doing a repair install of 2007 but I worry that there might be a scrap or two of the beta that didn't uninstall cleanly. Unfortunately I don't think we can easily clean it out without also removing 2007...which since you don't have the disc we wouldn't be able to put back on.

Try the repair install and hope for the best I guess. Control Panel | Programs | Add/Remove | Office 2007 | Change...

F

Fullhammer

Hi Ben,

Unfortunately the repair install of Office did not arrange anything... Did it twice but I still get the same message saying that " The information service is not installed on your computer" What do you suggest?

Did Microsoft maybe release a tool to adress this matter?

Cheers,

Fullhammer

F

Fullhammer

I've read the description and it says you can uninstall Office after the tool has been run... Is this a can because you have to or a can if you want to?

Thanks very much,

Fullhammer

Status
Not open for further replies.