Transferring Sorted Messages to Outlook on a New Computer-Keep Messages on Server (not Exchange)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JPMSAnswers

I am moving a POP account from one computer to another. I use Outlook 2003. I have organized many messages into folders on the "old" computer. I also have the setting "Leave a copy of the messages on the server" selected so all messages exist in a flat Inbox on the server as well as being sorted into folders on my local (old) machine.

What order do I need to:

A) Set up the account on the new computer,

B) Import the .pst file I exported from the old computer,

C) Select Work Offline, or

D) Any other steps

in order for the messages to be sorted in the same folders on the new computer and not have all messages on the server be downloaded to the Inbox? I don't want to have duplicates (one in the Inbox and one sorted into folders imported from the .pst file).

Thanks in advance!

R

Roady [MVP]

See the Profile Recreation section of;
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/duplicates.htm

Another way to approach this would be to place the messages on the POP3 sever in another folder (for instance "Archive"). This way, the messages cannot be seen by Outlook as the POP3 protocol only looks at the default message folder of your mailbox.

J

JPMSAnswers

This doesn't seem to be working for me. It keeps downolading all the messages anyway.

I must admit I'm confused by step 1 that says, "and once opened move all the newly received e-mails to that pst-file". Which is "that" PST file (new or old)? and how do I move the newly received emails?

I'm tempted to move the messages on the server to an Archive folder like you suggest. However, if I later delete the messages within Outlook, I assume that means they will not be deleted from the server, is that correct?

Thanks.

R

Roady [MVP]

This doesn't seem to be working for me. It keeps downolading all the messages anyway.

It will always redownload the emails since there is no record of which messages have been downloaded yet. With the rule you'll prevent duplicates from ending up in your regular mail folders.

I must admit I'm confused by step 1 that says, "and once opened move all the newly received e-mails to that pst-file". Which is "that" PST file (new or old)? and how do I move the newly received emails?

Any new message that have been delivered to the temp location instead of your regular mailbox. You can move them via drag & drop or via the Move To Folder command (CTL+SHIFT+V)

I'm tempted to move the messages on the server to an Archive folder like you suggest. However, if I later delete the messages within Outlook, I assume that means they will not be deleted from the server, is that correct?

The "Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Item'" option will indeed not work in that case.

J

JPMSAnswers

Thanks, Robert. I think I'll move them to an archive folder on the server. Seems to be the fastest solution.

I *really* appreciate your help, even if it took me forever to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.