Set the default sort order for emails

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Giles S

I don't know how this has happened, but all my email folders suddenly appeared sorted by whether or not the mesages have attachments. Although I can change them back to date-received order one by one, it would be great if I could replicate what I assume I must have done in the first place, and change them globally.

Any ideas?

Giles.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Click View | Current View | Customize Current View...what does it say under "Sort"? If you set that to be the way you want it then apply this view to your other folders it should fix the sort for the other folders.

G

Giles S

Ben,

That sounds like a decent staring point; when you say "apply this view to your other folders" I have a couple of questions:

- How do I actually do that? (I can't see anything anywhere saying, "Apply this view to other folders" or similar.)

- Assuming there is somewhere to apply the view, is it possible to apply it globally or to select all the folders to which I want it to apply rather than doing it folder by folder?

Er, wait.

I'm really not sure what I just did, but after clicking around a bit in the View > Arrange By area it seems that all my folders are now sorted correctly. Whether this happened just because I followed your instructions and the setting was automatically applied across everything (which seem unlikely) or whether I inadvertently clicked on something else at some point (or whether there may even have been some kind of bug that created the problem in the first palce that's now gone away) I can't say , but the upshot is that my particular problem appears to be resolved.

For the benefit of others, then, have you any thoughts on the two questions above?

Thanks,

Giles.

W

WillTell

Or, open your inbox, at the very top you most likely will see, From, Subject, Received, Size or possibly a heading you added. Click the one you want to use to sort your e-mails.

HTH

If I brought you Joy, cast your Vote! If I answered your question, click, Propose As Answer! >WT<

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

When you updated the View settings all other folders that already used that view were automatically updated as well.

I should have clarified that you only needed to apply that view to other folders if it wasn't already applied - and it seems like it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.