Setup Outlook '07 to Send/Receive mail from 2 Domains???

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaDuck

In a small business environment with Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2003, we need to setup outlook to be able to send and receive email from 2 domains.. Since Outlook will allow only 1 " Exchange" account, the new one for the second domain will presumably be an IMAP based account?? Our existing mail works fine for Extronlogistics.com... We own the domain Extroninc.com and need to get email setup for that...

Can you shed any light on this for us please?

Thanks,

DaDuck

D

DaDuck

Thanks Ben.. I think our preference would be to add an account to the email client if possible.. There are only 2 or 3 people who need this capability out of probably 50 or so...

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Well, then either POP3 or IMAP for the second account would work. Easy enough - Tools | Accounts Settings | Email Accounts...add the add'l account.

Outlook 2010 supports multiple Exchange mailboxes, FYI.

D

DaDuck

It's not that simple.......

When I try to setup a new IMAP account, with the following:

Name Email Address on the new, second domain Incoming Mail Server: exchange.extronlogistics.com (This is the existing/working domain)Outgoing Mail Server: (Same as Incoming) Username & Password: The one on the existing/working domain And then I click Test Account Settings:

Logging into incoming mail server: Fails and

Sending a test email message: Fails

Name server lookup looks like this (If I read this correctly, this looks like Extroninc.com points to Extronlogistics.com which is our working domain):

Non-authoritative answer:

extronlogistics.com MX preference = 3, mail exchanger = extronlogistics.com.s9b1.psmtp.com

extronlogistics.com MX preference = 2, mail exchanger = extronlogistics.com.s9a2.psmtp.com

extronlogistics.com MX preference = 4, mail exchanger = extronlogistics.com.s9b2.psmtp.com

extronlogistics.com MX preference = 1, mail exchanger = extronlogistics.com.s9a1.psmtp.com

> extroninc.com

Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com

Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:

extroninc.com MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = extronlogistics.com.s9b1.psmtp.com

extroninc.com MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = extronlogistics.com.s9a2.psmtp.com

extroninc.com MX preference = 40, mail exchanger = extronlogistics.com.s9b2.psmtp.com

extroninc.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = extronlogistics.com.s9a1.psmtp.com

>

H

Hal Hostetler - Print-Imaging [MVP]

Are you sure IMAP service is enabled on this server? While an Exchange Server supports both POP and IMAP, I'm not entirely sure those services are enabled by default.Hal

D

DaDuck

I'm a bit new to administrating Exchange... I inherited this setup of 2003 and I did find IMAP4 under Administrative Group First Administrative Group Server\Exchange\Protocols\ .... Does this mean it's running?

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Well those all seem to be pointing at the same server, yes. Are both domains already hosted on the same server? If not the extroninc.com seems to be set up incorrectly in DNS.

H

It means the service is loaded, it doesn't mean its runnning. Right click the " Default IMAP virtual server" ; if the context menu says " Stop" and " Pause" , the service is running, if it says " Start" the service is NOT running and you need to start it.Hal

D

DaDuck

Hi Hal,

I'm glad you got back to me........ That option isn't available under protocols and I can't find it else where.. Where should I look? We're running Exchange 2003...

H

It isn't? What did you mean by " I did find IMAP4 under Administrative Group First Administrative Group Server\Exchange\Protocols\" then? If you found IMAP4, you should find the " Default IMAP virtual server" in the IMAP4 " folder"

Hal

D

DaDuck

Hal- Sorry to get back to this late.. There were some fires here to put out...

So, I did find the default IMAP4 virtual server and it is started/running. I did not find a way to set it to be for the Extroninc domain (As I could do with by creating a new virtual server). How do I proceed from here....

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.