Can't write archive files to external drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nwdude

Hi,

Everytime i try archive mail to external drive i keep getting error, That the disk is write protected or out of space or file is in use. While i ahve 300 GB space and its not write protected because i am able to copy files from desk top and save them on the drive. Do i need to create a new archive files versus just overwriting what i have there from last year?

G

Gordon B-P

How big is this archive file?If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

N

nwdude

it's about 30 GB max, i was even trying to transfer emails manually to a pst file folder stored on external drive and it gives me same error

G

Gordon B-P

it's about 30 GB max,

And is this external drive formatted in FAT32? I'll bet it is - FAT32 formatted disks will not accept files over 4GB in size...

If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

N

nwdude

i do not think dirve format is an issue as i cant even move a single email to the archive folder.

N

nwdude

i did the check and the tool found some errors. so i chose to fix the errors but after running for a while i got a message that there is not enough space to fix the errors!!! :( what DA!!! ut got 421 GB of space

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Are your other primary drives at or near capacity in the off chance that the issue being referred to is related to a drive being used for internal work files which may have nothing to do with the external drive.

Other things to check are the recycle bin, temp files etc especially if you do a lot of downloading.

N

nwdude

Nope my C drive which is primary has about 343 GB and my D drive which is backup drive with factory iamge have about 1.9 GB. Still doesnt explain why i cant fix the file. :-(

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Just to get back to some basics and eliminate as many variables as possible:

#1) if you copy the archive to your C drive and run ScanPST on it there - does that work>

#2) if #1 works - can you successfully archive data to this file while it's on your C drive? (the archive file is an O'2007 format PST file correct?)

#3) is your external drive USB or e-Sata? Do you have anything else running related to your external drive such as USB Safely Remove (as a for instance)?

Essentially, if items #1 & #2 work - then the issue is purely one of communication with the external drive indicating an environmental operating issue. The process of <copying> files involves different things then trying to add/remove info from a file meaning that the issue could in fact be generic if something similar was attempted via another program.

N

nwdude

I was able to archive succesfully to my C Drive after i copied the file from E Drive.

The external drive is USB

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
The upside is that at least you can acomplish what you need to do.

Would suspect that issue is related more to the <type> and <speed> of activity occuring on the file over a USB connection then it has to do with anything Outlook specific but that's only a guess since don't use external drives involving anything that is <data/record> related - at least not for anything that would occur <in bulk>. The results may be different for e-Sata and USB 3.0 connections (assuming yours is a USB 2.0 drive) which are much faster and provide faster throughput.

Status
Not open for further replies.