Outlook 2007 Not Responding

• Thread starter tpbradysr
  • Start date Views 741
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tpbradysr

This has been documented numerous times over the last 18 months with no definitiive resolution. All resolutions I have tried have only been temporary. They work for a little while. Does anybody know why MS Outlook 2007 does not run reliably under Windows 7 Professional? Why does it stop responding? It seems to be related to communicating with a mail server. If it is offline it works fine, but when it's offline, it's not really doing anything. I have replaced .dat files, deleted and re-established an account, removed the hotmail connector, but Outlook won't let me disable add-ins as it says it must be done by an administrator. I am the administrator and only user on my computer. What gives?

P

Palcouk

Documented numerous times? well I and many others run OL2007 without issues in win7. The problem is with your OL configeration.

The primary cause of OL issues, in any version, is integrated AV, and sync tools

Start OL using the safe switch, thats not the same as booting the PC into safe mode, and see if the problem is replicated.

http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/commandlines.htm

For further info post to the Office/Outlook/Setup group; http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/Office

J

Jeeped

Does anybody know why MS Outlook 2007 does not run reliably under Windows 7 Professional?

With all due respect, my own Outlook 2007 runs perfectly under Windows 7 Professional. With that said, I've found that 95%+ of Outlook freeze-ups are caused by either a minor corruption in the Outlook.pst files or an anti-virus add-in conflict.

Test-run Outlook in Safe Mode

Close Outlook then click Start (or tap the Windows key) and type outlook /safe into the Search programs and files text box and hit <enter>. This mode of operation disables add-ins. Is Outlook responding normally?

Disabling or Removing Add-ins from Outlook

Close Outlook then click Start (or tap the Windows key) and paste this into the Search programs and files text box,

%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Office\Office12

... then hit <enter>. Locate Outlook.exe in this folder and right click it then select Run as administrator. You should now have no problem disabling add-ins from the Tools, Trust Center, Add-ins, Manage: COM Add=ins.

Running SCANPST on Outlook.pst

Close Outlook then click Start (or tap the Windows key) and paste in %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Office\Office12\scanpst.exe then hit <enter>.

Locate your Outlook.pst file with the Browse button. The default location is%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst.

If you cannot find it, the location is stored within Outlook's Tools, Options, Mail Setup tab, Data Files. Remember to shut Outlook down before running the ScanPst scan.

With the Outlook.pst file located, click Start to initiate the process. This will take a while depending upon the size of your mail box(es). Follow any instructions down the road.
Between that test and those two procedures, your Outlook should start running reliably.

Have you tried turning it off and then on again?

C

csepp

This was excellent advice regarding the add-ins. I successfully repaired my Outlook.pst file but was still having issues.

I didn't think to review the add-ins list in Trust Center. I went in revised it, and then restarted Outlook. Microsoft Office then advised disabling the add-ins that I had left in the list, so I did.

Immediately, I noticed that folders loaded more quickly (example: going from inbox to deleted items).
Thanks for the help!

J

Jeeped

Glad you were able to make use of the procedures and thanks for the feedback."Have you tried turning it off and then on again?" - Roy from 'The IT Crowd' (Emmy award-winning British comedy)

Status
Not open for further replies.