push "send/receive all folders" and nothing happens, check "Show progress" and it's empty.

• Thread starter theloniouscoltrane
  • Start date Views 4,304
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theloniouscoltrane

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010

Windows 7 64-bit

Everything worked until this morning. Came out to the computer, went to Outlook, and there was no new mail. So…

I push “Send/Receive->Send/Receive All Folders” and nothing happens.

I push “Send/Receive->Send/Receive All Folders” and then push “Show Progress” and the fields are blank.

I push “File->Options->Advanced->Send and Receive” and nothing happens.

I"ve uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2010 and nothing changed.

HELP!!

A

Anthony Bakker

I have struck this issue with other versions of Outlook. The problem was resolved each time by recreating the Outlook profile. This is done via the control panel/Mail/Show Profiles.

You would have to re-enter your internet email settings to undertake this option however.

It is possible to preserve all email, address book(contacts), calendar, etc. by renaming the existing .OST file to whatever name the new profile data file is called.

T

theloniouscoltrane

Thank you for this advice, however, I was aware of the ability to switch between the two states and it has always been online.

T

theloniouscoltrane

Due to only moderate skills, I am confused about this advice. I know how to export a .pst file, which is where I thought all this information resided. I also have daily backups of my entire C drive.

I'm sure the advice you have just given me is a relatively simple workaround, but i don't understand the steps I would take. If you have time and the inclination, could you give me a few more terms so i could try to piece together the steps using Microsoft's hopeless help files?

If I go to AppData->Local->Microsoft->Outlook, I find two .ost files and two .pst files. The two .ost files have the same name except one has a " 0" at the end of the name, like filename. ost and filename 0.ost The latter is much newer and much larger. The two .pst files are called " Outlook backup.pst" and " Outlook.pst" the latter being slightly larger and two months newer.

Owing to the fact that I often have to look up old information, the .pst files are both larger than used to be allowed. (~7,000,000 KB). The larger of the two .ost files is about 325,000 KB. As you can tell from the fact that I don't use MB of GB, I'm not even confident converting simple numbers.

On the other hand, I can quickly figure out three or four ways to play a Ab7b5 chord, so I'm not completely hopeless.

I had a crash once a few years ago where it took me weeks to reassemble my Outlook files and one of the outcome is I have a dozen or so .pst files floating around my computer on various drives used for backups. I keep hoping someone will come up with a way to merge all of the files while deleting duplicate entries, but the solution has remained safely out of my grasp.

Thanks you for your help.

H

Hassan El-Meligy, MSc

I am revising all together again trying to give you an organized try..

H

Hassan El-Meligy, MSc

Did you check your internet connection on outlook mail. Could you see if connection is set to LAN Do you have more than one conneciton How many mail account you have there Did you try backup your whole outlook folder to another new folder UnInstall Outlook completely and restart the computer Install a new OUTLOOK from scratch and add a new account Try to see that the Send / Recieve is working or not if it works; do the follow to get the old data (to get the old data just point the the databases file...) please check the above and let me know

Regards

T

theloniouscoltrane

The answer to all above it yes and none worked. I really thought the reinstall would do it, but, it didn't. I finally got fed up and just restored an image from about a month ago and it now works, though now I have the problem of integrating the old and new emails.

Thanks so much for your time and effort in helping to answer this question.

H

Hassan El-Meligy, MSc

Not a reinstall.

But a clean install after having compelte removed office from your Windows

Otherwise, you are still copying on top of the older options.

Regards

R

Roady [MVP]

The fact that the Send/Receive... button in Options did not respond would indicate that you had a corruption in your srs-file. If you had renamed that to .old or recreated you mail profile, the issue would have been solved as well. Reinstalling didn't help as it doesn't effect any of these settings.

Also see; Cannot Edit Send/Receive Settings

Robert Sparnaaij

Status
Not open for further replies.