Can't open attachments in body of email in Outlook 2010.

• Thread starter PackRat24
  • Start date Views 3,481
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PackRat24

Attachments (like Excel or Word) within the body of an email can't open in Outlook 2010. They appear as the correct icon for the program and a paperclip appears to indicate an attachment. When attempting to open the attachment, a message appears: " The program used to create this object is Outlook. That program is either not installed on your computer or it is not responding. To edit this object, install Outlook or ensure that any dialog boxes in outlook are closed." The emails appear in Rich Text. Right-clicking the icon only allows me to save the icon itself, not the attachment.

The attachments work correctly in OWA and Outlook 2003.

If I receive a HTML message with an attachment, it opens fine and in the correct program.

I have done extensive searches in Google and Microsoft and have not found a solution to this problem.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

If you have Norton scanning your incoming e-mail, turn that off. You'll probably have to uninstall Norton and reinstall it minus the e-mail scanning.

P

PackRat24

We tested in on a machine with no anti-virus installed and received the same error.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Do you have Outlook running in cached mode? You might try testing it by turning Cached mode off and see if that makes a difference.

R

Raju S Das

What happens if you try to save the file to your desktop and open?

Status
Not open for further replies.