Outlook 2010 Seeding Rules in a New Exchange Account

• Thread starter JEHill
  • Start date Views 556
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JEHill

We upgraded from Outlook 2003 to 2010. My 2003 profile had one POP mail account. My new profile still has the POP mail account PLUS two new Exchange accounts. In OL 2003 there are100+ rules defined. The messages that will be arriving in the two new Exchange accounts will be the same mail formally going to the POP account.

Is there a way to "seed" the new Exchange accounts with the rules from the POP account? I would like to use rules in each account to send inbox mail to folders in the account in which the messages arrived. Recreating all the rules from scratch is something I'd like to avoid.

I would love some ideas on how best to deal with the three accounts.

Thanks,

James

J

JEHill

Thanks Diane.

It appears that no matter what, we will have to at least touch each rule to point to the new destination folder. To "seed" the process a bit, I can export the old folder structure out of the POP account (filtering out all the messages by selecting only messages that have a modification date well earlier than any existing messages in the account). The resulting .pst file will only contain the inbox sub-folder structure.

I can then import that file into the new inbox and the process will define all the inbox subfolders that the imported rules (in a subsequent step) will need to be manually pointed at. Then the rules from the old account will work on messages in the new account.

I can deal with this much work.

Status
Not open for further replies.