Pst File Has Continuous Errors

• Thread starter DavePol
  • Start date Views 1,085
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DavePol

I have a new machine loaded with Win 7x64 and Office 2007. Chkdsk reports no errors and all Outlook add-ins have been removed. Scanpst reports errors and may need to run several times to get a clean result. I have two profiles set up, and the pst file on both continually show errors. I have created new pst files and copied mail and Calendar items across, but cannot fix the problem

K

Kathleen Orland [MVP]

Where is your PST located? If it's not kept on the local machine, say it's kept on a network drive instead, that can cause these issues.

Outlook needs constant and consistent read/write access to the PST. If there's any interruption in traffic, it can cause corruption. Microsoft does not recommend or support the storage of PST's on a network drive.
Microsoft

D

DavePol

It is on the local drive. Tried it on the main (boot) partition and also on the secondary partition (D) which is used for all my data

K

Kathleen Orland [MVP]

Sorry for the delay in response.

Is Outlook closed when you run scanpst.exe? Not just closed in that it appears closed, but you verify in the task manager that outlook.exe is not running.
Microsoft

D

DavePol

Yes, Outlook.exe is definitely closed. I can reliabley repeat the error by creating a new pst file in safe mode, where there is no other software or add-ins running. Scanpst shows errors immediately in the new file. Microsoft Support said this is not really a problem, and I should simply ignore error reports from Scanpst

K

Kathleen Orland [MVP]

Have you run scanpst.exe repeatedly until no errors are found? Microsoft

D

DavePol

Yes. Typically it takes 4 passes. The first pass usually reports 'minor errors', but the next three passes report significant errors until the file is reporte clean.

D

DavePol

The reply to my MS Support incident indicates that there is a fault in scanpst, for the last two versions of Office, which causes an error report even in a new, empty pst file. The developers will probably not fix it until the next version of Office. Do not rely on scanpst to indicate errors in a file

Status
Not open for further replies.