Outlook 2010 automatically opens 2 browser tabs every time an email is highlighted

• Thread starter Richie B
  • Start date Views 2,014
R

Richie B

Hi,

I'm using Outlook 2010 and this morning it started acting very strangely: Every time I click on an email in my inbox, I get the 'File Download' message prompt and my browser attempts to open a file using the following:

file:///C:/Users/DaPuta/AppData/Local/Temp/%7B78562638-DC44-474E-92BD-2E52CEB1C87B%7D.html

Obviously it uses a different address depending on the file...

I'm using Win 7 Pro and Outlook is running with Xobni and Clear Context which have never had any issues prior to today.

I cannot explain how time-consuming and annoying this is and would be eternally grateful to anyone who has a solution. Many thanks

RB

R

Richie B

Hi Ben,

Thanks for having a go fella :) Yes it does happen even in Safe Mode. I've now uninstalled all my add-ins and still the problem persists. It's causing havoc with my working day I can tell you!

Let me know if you have any other solutions up your sleeve. I'll try anything!

N

Niyamath Khan

You may try to open Outlook in Windows clean boot to check if it helps.

Refer to the steps given in the link below to start computer in clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure to restart the computer to normal mode once troubleshooting is completed.

R

Richie B

Hi Niyamath,

Nope that didn't work either... I did a completely clean boot and the problem is still there.

And it gets worse: If my machine doesn't have a browser open, Outlook forces one to open - Firefox - and it will open upto 4 new browser windows once it has found the first email.

There must be a way to stop this. I recall that yesterday before it happened Idid a re-boot and during the shut down I saw the 'Operations in Progress' prompt. I have no idea what those operations were tho as I didn't download any upgrades or updates.

Does anyone else have any idea what could be causing this to my otherwise perfect machine?

Getting desperate here...

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

What anti-virus software are you using? What kind of account is this? POP3? IMAP? Hotmail? Exchange? Something else?

R

Richie B

Hey Ben,

OK, I'm using Kaspersky, it's up to date and nothing found (Oh and my machine has just been cleaned by SuperAntiV, Spybot and Adaware!). The account is POP3.

Yesterday I left it open tabs during just 1 hour of normal work... It forced Firefox to open 322 tabs in one hour!!!

My machine was reduced to a crawl and my blood pressure went through the roof.

No one seems to have an answer and Thunderbird is looking like my only option :/

Hope you have another solution fella :)

RB

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Do you have Kaspersky configured to scan incoming e-mail? If so...try turning that off and see if it matters.

Do you have any rules running in Outlook?

R

Richie B

Hi again Ben, really appreciate you trying to help me mate :)

Kaspersky is turned off in Outlook. My ISP has an effective Spam filter so never needed it.

No, I don't have any rules.

Interestingly, I thought Firefox was the problem, so I uninstalled it, leaving only IE as the default browser. The problem did not occur with IE and the messaging stopped.

I loath IE, so I installed Chrome instead of Firefox... now the problem has returned. I've done a screen grab of the message I get but can't figure out how to add it to my messages here... Let me know if that would help.

Again, thanks so much for trying to help me Ben. I'm very very grateful.

Rich

R

Richie B

OMG! That fixed it!!!! Ben... YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER! Mate, thank you soooo much. Setting IE to default browser did it!

I can't figure out why that would do it but frankly I don't give damn!

YOU DA MAN!!!

After 4 days of this and having posted it on multiple forums, you're the only one who stuck with me and saw it through. If you are EVER in Perth, I'm on rtbarry@gmail.com and mate, I owe you a beer... or 5.

Cheers buddy, really can't tell you what a relief this is :)

Rich

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

You're welcome. The only downside to it is that anytime you hit an out-of-browser link it's going to pop IE for you instead of Chrome. I'm still a bit puzzled by what was causing this issue to occur. I have Firefox set as my default browser (even though I have IE and Chrome installed as well) and have never seen that issue personally.

R

Richie B

Yep, it's definitely a weird one but Outlook is weird!

So when you coming to Perth?

;)

W

wany

I have the same problem and I so far lost 2 days trying to fix it but hsave not yet been able too. I am going crazy with frustration.

Wany

C

c b w

I have the same problem with 2003 edition. i had a small window open a few weeks ago that asked if i wanted to do something each time i highlighted an email or made some such action. stupid i hit yes quickly without knowing exactly what i was responding to. hence the problem began and i do not exactly what i agreed to or aloowed and cannot retrace my steps to stop this.

Chris

C

c b w

I have the same problem with 2003 edition. i had a small window open a few weeks ago that asked if i wanted to do something each time i highlighted an email or made some such action. stupid i hit yes quickly without knowing exactly what i was responding to. hence the problem began and i do not exactly what i agreed to or aloowed and cannot retrace my steps to stop this.

Chris