Autocomplete entries wiped out when I exit Outlook 2010.

• Thread starter Soup to Nuts
  • Start date Views 1,691
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Soup to Nuts

I have a new Windows 7 64 bit laptop, using Office 2010 32 bit and here is my challenge. I have imported my.nk2 file from my Outlook 2003 into Outlook 2010. And the memorized lists works great until I exit/close Outlook. Then I need to reimport the nk2 file for the memorized contacts to work again. But it only works until I close Outlook. To address this issue I have disabled all add-ins, deleted itunes, re-created the profile, ran scanpst twice, and ran Outlook in safe mode.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Is there anything in your " Suggested Contacts" folder?

S

Soup to Nuts

Yes. When I import the nk2 the " Suggested Contacts" folder is populated. I have tried both (1) to delete the all suggested contacts and then re-import the nk2 and (2) leave the suggested contacts as is and re-import the nk2, with the same result . . . the autocomplete entries stop working when I exit Outlook and start it.

R

Russ Valentine

Autocompletion is not a robust or reliable feature. It frequently stops working if Outlook loses its connection to its autocompletion cache. This can happen for a number of reasons, most often because Outlook is not exiting cleanly or completely and thus not writing to the cache. Make sure you run no add-ins or sync software that might hold Outlook open after you exit. Check Task Manager after you exit Outlook to make sure no instances of Outlook remain active.

Russ Valentine

S

Soup to Nuts

I have been keeping task manager open and watching when Outlook closes. I have disabled all Outlook add-ins, so currently there are no add-ins active in Outlook 2010. I have blackberry software loaded but it is not active. With no add-ins, Outlook will stay open for about 3 seconds after I exit, is this enough to cause an issues? I have also tried in safe mode, and still have the same issue of losing the autocorrect entries.

R

Russ Valentine

Hard to say. It certainly seems like 3 seconds is about the right amount of time for a gorilla to sit down. The fact that this is continuing to happen even in safe mode and even after creating a new Outlook profile (from scratch, I assume), is a new wrinkle I haven't seen repro'd here before. Maybe someone else has. Microsoft certainly changed how autocompletion works in Outlook 2010, so it's quite possible they've created new problems along the way that are only now starting to surface. You've done all the trobleshooting I can think of. Sorry that I have no more ideas. It will be interesting to see if others can repro this behavior.Russ Valentine

S

Soup to Nuts

I did create a new outlook profile from scratch in Outlook 2010. However, the profile wizard gives you the option to send mail to a current pst file, so I selected this and did not create a brand new pst, just a new profile. My thought was that I ran scanpst several times and it did not recommend a repair, I did not think the pst was corrupt. Should I have created a new pst file?

R

Russ Valentine

No. You did everything exactly as you should. A new PST file would not solve this problem.Russ Valentine

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Yes. When I import the nk2 the " Suggested Contacts" folder is populated. I have tried both (1) to delete the all suggested contacts and then re-import the nk2 and (2) leave the suggested contacts as is and re-import the nk2, with the same result . . . the autocomplete entries stop working when I exit Outlook and start it.

Was your PST file created new in Outlook 2003 as a UNICODE PST file or was it brought forward from an older version of Outlook? How large is your PST file?

It actually MAY be valuable to try creating a new PST file and copying (don't import) your items over - the reason being that the .NK2 file in the old versions is now handled as a hidden item in the Inbox. Maybe your current PST file isn't preserving that hidden item correctly for some reason.

See if this helps: http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/oab.html

S

Soup to Nuts

Well the answers was a corrupt PST file! While the original pst file was about 1 GB and I ran scanpst on it 3 times, with only the first time showing errors, I took your advise. I created a new profile with a new pst,a viola issue was solved. I even did an export of the old data (without nk2 or suggested contact data), and imported it into the PST and it worked.

Thank you!!

S

Soup to Nuts

Thank you for your input, but yes I have already tried this and it did not solve the issue. The issue ened up being a corrupt pst file.

Status
Not open for further replies.