Outlook 2003 shared contacts

• Thread starter obnetadmin
  • Start date Views 677
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

obnetadmin

I created some custom contact lists on the secretary's computer. I want to share them with the principal. I went to "Share My Contacts" and assigned Publishing Editor permissions for the principal. This works fine for the default contact list but I cannot see or open any of the additional contact lists. We are running Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003 EE.

J

Jahawk

Hi,

In order for someone else to open your non-default folders, you will need to grant them at least View permissions to your root folder (top-most Mailbox level). Then, they will need to add your mailbox as an additional mailbox. This will allow your mailbox to appear in their Outlook navigation pane, along with any subfolders that they have permissions to.

Please see the following link for steps to configure and connect to an additional mailbox:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/add-another-person-s-mailbox-to-your-account-HP005242139.aspx

Jahawk MSFT

O

obnetadmin

This does not work (unless I'm misunderstanding something). I just want the custom Contacts folders that I create on the principals computer to be shared with the secretary.

J

Jahawk

Hi,

I think I get it now. :)

The Principal has created sub-folders under their Default Contacts folder (or created seperate Contact folders) and you want to make them available to the other person.

In order to do that, you'd have to open the Principal's Mailbox in the other person's Outlook profile. With Outlook 2010, you could add the Principal's Mailbox as a second Exchange Account. With earlier versions of Outlook (and with Outlook 2010's primary Exchange account), you would add the Principal as an Additional Mailbox.

Provided the user has adequate permissions to the Principal's root folder and the Contact folders they've created, they should list in the additional mailbox's folder list.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195781

In order to share other than the five default Mailbox folders, Contacts, Inbox, Journal, Notes, and Tasks, you must share the entire Mailbox. This will give access to subfolders as well as the five primary folders.

Hope that helps!

Jahawk MSFT

O

obnetadmin

Jahawk-

That was it! Thank you and everyone on this thread for their help.

Cheers!

O

obnetadmin

So the Outlook shared contact lists are working out great with one small caveat...any distribution list created cannot be accessed directly from the "To" line when composing a message from computer accessing the shared contacts. I can see the contact list (as well as any custom contacts) but not the distribution lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.