Outlook 2010 fails to complete synchronizing headers with IMAP account

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam Murschel

I am working with a client who has one large gmail account (tens of thousands of emails) set up with IMAP and his Outlook freezes while syncing. It will show new messages, but it never finishes the synchronizing headers process. I have tried:

1) Repairing PST

2) Reinstalling Outlook (with and without old PST)

3) Reinstalling XP with nothing but Outlook 2010

After 3) Outlook no longer becomes unresponsive and each folder updates message count, but syncing never finishes - even after 24 hours. Network connection times out - I restart it and it times out again. There is probably about 20 to 30 minutes between timeouts.

- Windows XP Home

- Outlook 2010 32bit

- Microsoft Security Essentials

- Hi-speed internet

- Gmail web interface works and IMAP is enabled.

- at this time there is no old PST data or profile or anything left from initial Outlook configuration

- Outlook is completely default except account settings for IMAP Gmail including SSL IMAP and TLS SMTP

I am not new to troubleshooting Outlook but I am in over my head with this problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

J

Jahawk

Hi Sam,

To confirm: Is the IMAP PST using UNICODE or ANSI mode format?

You'll need to use a UNICODE PST for that many items.

But, assuming I read your notes correctly and this is a new PST using UNICODE:

Have you been able to get the GMail emails to sync on any machine?

If you haven't already, try to repro this on another PC with Outlook 2010 configured with the user's IMAP account. -- What about from Outlook 2007, if you have that client available?

From Sync Issues, are you logging anything about the synchronization?

Under Sync Issues | Local Failures, are you listing anything?

If the issue occurs from any machine, perhaps one or more items are damaged\corrupt and cannot be synced. --Have you tried divvying up the GMAIL folder into smaller chunks (65000 items to a folder)? I am wondering if that would result in anything being successfully synced down.

Anyways, here's another post that sounds a lot like the issue you're seeing.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlooksend/thread/1173dbe6-db25-4e40-b0d0-4b4ccc1da650

Hope that helps to get your started!

Jahawk MSFT

Status
Not open for further replies.