Merging SharePoint and user calendars or automating meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sionr

Hello,

i have a user called Meting room, where our secretary summons meetings. she uses Outlook 2010.

what i'm trying to do is: when she summons a meeting via the meeting room user, the summons and meeting times will be reflected automatically in a SharePoint calendar. no drag and drop, everything must be automatic (like a rule maybe)

any ideas?

thanks!

A

Abdias Ruiz

Hi,
I can't think of a way to successfully synchronize what is in essence that meeting room's Calendar to SharePoint. You have the option to continue using that meeting mailbox and either 1) granting other Exchange users permissions to viewing its contents or 2) manually copy meetings from its Calendar to the SharePoint Calendar that has been sychronized with Outlook.

If the issue is with not all users having access to Exchange, then you can go with using a SharePoint calendar exclusively, but of course without the benefit of meeting invitations, tracking, etc.

There may be a third party solution available or a developer may be able to develop a custom solution for you. You may be able to search for some or someone in this Forum may later post to provide you some suggestions.

Thank you,

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

S

Sionr

Hello,

thanks for your answer.

maybe i'm " re-asking" here, but i'm desperate..:)

basically, the sharepoint calendar only needs to reflect the changes made on the meeting room calendar. all other exchange users can view Meeting room's calendar, but we also want to see them on the SharePoint calendar.

manually copying isn't an option according to my users..:(

do you think that if i configure the SharePoint calendar to receive email, and configure a rule in Meeting room's calendar to automatically summon the SharePoint calendars' email account?

or something on that line?

thanks!!!

Sion

Sion Retzkin

A

Abdias Ruiz

Hi Sion,
No, the SharePoint calendar is really just a list. Since it's not a mailbox per se, it cannot mimic the Outlook functionality of receiving and processing a meeting request.
Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

S

Sionr

Hi Abdias,

Yes, i know that the SharePoint calendar is a list. we don't need it to receive or process a meeting request, merely to show what appears in the other calendar.

if i give the SharePoint calendar/list an email, and configure a rule in outlook to send an email to the SharePoint calendar, each time a meeting is added to the outlook calendar, do you think this could work?

thanks!!

Sion

Sion Retzkin

A

Abdias Ruiz

No, because there is no SharePoint functionality to " convert" what is received as " mail" into a meeting or " update" a meeting with what was received as a " mail" item.
Abdias [MSFT]

S

Sionr

Hi Abdias,

i thought about a different option..is it possible to define the sharepoint calendar as the specific user's calendar?
it's on the portal page, not a mysite or such.

what i mean is can i change the default sharepoint calendar into the specific user's calendar (meeting room, as i said above)

the calendar is used only for making meeting appointments.

thanks again!

Sion

Sion Retzkin

A

Abdias Ruiz

Hi Sion,
No - again, it's a list and not anything that could ever behave as an Outlook Calendar.

Abdias [MSFT]

Status
Not open for further replies.