Outlook 2010 Quick Steps - Mark as Read Action and New Mail Notification

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rhindle

Hi,

I love the new Quick Steps in Outlook 2010, but I'm having an annoying problem with the Mark as read action. This is for a POP account. For example I have a quick step that has two actions, the first is mark as read and the second is move to a folder. If a new email comes in and I don't open it (just view in the reading pane) and use the quick step to move to a folder, it will indeed mark it as read and move it, BUT it does not remove the new mail notification envelope icons in the systray and on the Outlook icon on the taskbar. However if I click the Unread/Read icon in the ribbon it will mark it as read AND remove the new mail notification envelopes which is the expected behavior.

This almost defeats the purpose of this quick step for me because if I want to remove the new mail notification envelopes I have to first either open an email and then close it or click Unread/read and then use the quick step to move them. This is no longer a quick step. I just upgraded recently and was loving the quick steps to quickly mark as read and file away eamils and started noticing the new mail notification envelopes were there, but no new mail? It didn't take long to figure out what was happening. What is the point of an action to mark as read when it doesn't clear the new mail notification? Clicking Unread/Read does on the ribbon does... am I missing something?

Any input is welcome. Thanks!!

Rhindle

T

Teresa Walker

Hi Rhindle,

I am not able to reproduce this in my testing. I see the new mail notfications that you described but when I click the Quick Step and is set to Mark as Read and Move to Folder, it clears the new mail notifications as expected.

If there is some other step that is not mentioned above please let me know. If not, then I would look at addins in Outlook and try removing any to see if that allows it to work as expected.

If not, you may want to open a support ticket with Microsoft to try to determine what is causing this behavior.

Regards, Teresa Microsoft Online Community Support

Status
Not open for further replies.