Outlook 2010 crashes when upgraded from Office 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheKZA

In my organisation, there is a pretty common problem with Outlook 2010 not starting/crashing when executed when the machine was upgraded from Outlook 2007, and there is an existing mail profile.

It's sporadic across the organisation, but it is consistent with my own Exchange account.

Outlook won't start in safe mode. It occurs on both Windows 7 and XP platforms, on 32 and 64-bit machines.

I can consistently re-produce the issue on a fresh machine Win7 or XP install (Out of the box installs) with nothing else modified except the installation of Forefront Client Security.

I can't get in to Outlook to disable add-ins, but apart from possibly Forefront, I wouldn't expect there to be any installed.

The application event is below:

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 14.0.4760.1000, stamp 4ba8fefd, faulting module mso.dll, version 14.0.51.28.5000, stamp 4caf84cd, debug?0, fault address 0x0000734a

I do have a workaround: If you delete the profile and re-create it, Outlook starts fine. However this isn't an ideal solution as I'd like to automate it, or at least understand why it's happening.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

M

Microsoft Outlook Forum Support

Hi,

Please try the following steps:

i) Run Outlook client in safe mode and review the behavior.
ii) Please disable Outlook add-ins and see if that helps in correcting the issue.

For detailed troubleshooting on this please apply the steps as listed in following KB article:

2000071 Outlook 2007: Troubleshooting Outlook Crashes
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000071

The above article was written for Outlook 2007. But the same can steps can be applied on Outlook 2010 by making small changes.
The CleanProfile switch doesn"t apply to Outlook 2010 and reg keys for Outlook client are contained in “14.0” hive.
best regards,
Nitish Karmakar [MSFT]

Status
Not open for further replies.