Resolving Names

  • Thread starter Craig
  • Start date Views 2,272
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig

Internal to my organization I have been using the Outlook Object model for a

while. But recemtly I tried one of my Outlook addins on an outside system

and found that resolving names was not working as I have come to expect. In

the following code I get a very big string with regular dashes like some

kind of system ID after the "recipients/cn=".

XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXX

Both servers are 2007 and clients are 2003.

The below code works fine on my system and I get the username, but not on

the outside system.

Eml = objOutlook.Session.CurrentUser.Address

I am also getting the same issue when I use resolve.

Thanks for shedding any light on this for me.

Craig
 
K

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

What type of email address is it? If you use Session.CurrentUser.Type what

does it show?

What type of mail server is this other server. is it Exchange 2007?

"Craig" <cloidhamer@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:OPG0pxw4JHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Internal to my organization I have been using the Outlook Object model for
> a
> while. But recemtly I tried one of my Outlook addins on an outside system
> and found that resolving names was not working as I have come to expect.
> In
> the following code I get a very big string with regular dashes like some
> kind of system ID after the "recipients/cn=".
> XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXX

> Both servers are 2007 and clients are 2003.

> The below code works fine on my system and I get the username, but not on
> the outside system.
> Eml = objOutlook.Session.CurrentUser.Address

> I am also getting the same issue when I use resolve.

> Thanks for shedding any light on this for me.

> Craig

>
 
C

Craig

They are using Exchange 2007. When I run Session.CurrentUser.Type I get "1"

when they run it they also get "1". They are running a Citrix envrionment

would that cause this issue?

If I run this VbScript.

Dim Ol,Ns

Set Ol = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Set Ns = Ol.GetNamespace("MAPI")

msgbox (ol.Session.CurrentUser.Name) & chr(13) +

ol.session.CurrentUser.Address

I get this output:

Craig Loidhamer

/o=UMS/ou=First Administartive Group/cn=Recipients/cn=cloidhamer

When I have them run it they get:

Gary K

/o=ZMS1/ou=First Administartive

Group/cn=Recipients/cn=17B4A58C-3E16404B-8625682E-XXXXXX

Thanks again for your help.

Craig
<kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message

news:%239wQFa44JHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> What type of email address is it? If you use Session.CurrentUser.Type what
> does it show?

> What type of mail server is this other server. is it Exchange 2007?

> >

>

> "Craig" <cloidhamer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:OPG0pxw4JHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > Internal to my organization I have been using the Outlook Object model
> > for a
> > while. But recemtly I tried one of my Outlook addins on an outside system
> > and found that resolving names was not working as I have come to expect.
> > In
> > the following code I get a very big string with regular dashes like some
> > kind of system ID after the "recipients/cn=".
> > XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXX
>

>> Both servers are 2007 and clients are 2003.
>

>> The below code works fine on my system and I get the username, but not on
> > the outside system.
> > Eml = objOutlook.Session.CurrentUser.Address
>

>> I am also getting the same issue when I use resolve.
>

>> Thanks for shedding any light on this for me.
>

>> Craig
>

>>

>
 
K

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Something seems screwy about how the Exchange server is configured. I would

expect to see "EX" for any Exchange DN type address, not a "1". And that DN

that's being returned looks like it's a folder or mailbox GUID and not an

Exchange alias. I'd have an admin look at the configuration for Gary K in

ADUC and see what's up.

Citrix I'm not sure about.

"Craig" <cloidhamer@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:uBmksy54JHA.3476@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> They are using Exchange 2007. When I run Session.CurrentUser.Type I get
> "1" when they run it they also get "1". They are running a Citrix
> envrionment would that cause this issue?

> If I run this VbScript.
> Dim Ol,Ns
> Set Ol = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
> Set Ns = Ol.GetNamespace("MAPI")

> msgbox (ol.Session.CurrentUser.Name) & chr(13) +
> ol.session.CurrentUser.Address

> I get this output:
> Craig Loidhamer
> /o=UMS/ou=First Administartive Group/cn=Recipients/cn=cloidhamer

> When I have them run it they get:
> Gary K
> /o=ZMS1/ou=First Administartive
> Group/cn=Recipients/cn=17B4A58C-3E16404B-8625682E-XXXXXX

> Thanks again for your help.

> Craig
 
C

Craig

After looking at it he saw that all new Exchange Users had the correct

alias, but all the users that were migrated from Exchange 2003 had the IDs.

The Alias field in Exchange has the correct name. Is there something in AD

that might have not been update correctly?
<kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message

news:Obv6Ww64JHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Something seems screwy about how the Exchange server is configured. I
> would expect to see "EX" for any Exchange DN type address, not a "1". And
> that DN that's being returned looks like it's a folder or mailbox GUID and
> not an Exchange alias. I'd have an admin look at the configuration for
> Gary K in ADUC and see what's up.

> Citrix I'm not sure about.

> >

>

> "Craig" <cloidhamer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:uBmksy54JHA.3476@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > They are using Exchange 2007. When I run Session.CurrentUser.Type I get
> > "1" when they run it they also get "1". They are running a Citrix
> > envrionment would that cause this issue?
>

>> If I run this VbScript.
> > Dim Ol,Ns
> > Set Ol = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
> > Set Ns = Ol.GetNamespace("MAPI")
>

>> msgbox (ol.Session.CurrentUser.Name) & chr(13) +
> > ol.session.CurrentUser.Address
>

>> I get this output:
> > Craig Loidhamer
> > /o=UMS/ou=First Administartive Group/cn=Recipients/cn=cloidhamer
>

>> When I have them run it they get:
> > Gary K
> > /o=ZMS1/ou=First Administartive
> > Group/cn=Recipients/cn=17B4A58C-3E16404B-8625682E-XXXXXX
>

>> Thanks again for your help.
>

>> Craig

>
 
K

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

I'm not an Exchange admin, my guess is a bad migration, but that's just a

guess. I'd post about that in an Exchange admin newsgroup.

"Craig" <cloidhamer@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:%23lq%23KM84JHA.4404@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> After looking at it he saw that all new Exchange Users had the correct
> alias, but all the users that were migrated from Exchange 2003 had the
> IDs. The Alias field in Exchange has the correct name. Is there something
> in AD that might have not been update correctly?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top