Exchange resource calendar permissions and Outlook 2010

S

Sasanb

We have Exchange 2010 working with Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 clients. I have set up a conference room as a resource of " Room" type and given a couple of people " Publishing Editor" permission for its calendar. The deafault permission is " Reviewer" . When my Outlook 2007 clients try to reserve this room, they receive a permission denied message as they should. My Outlook 2010 users can reserve the room without a problem. The same outlook 2010 users would get the permission denied message if they tried to reseve the room through OWA. It seems like Outlook 2010 completely ignores the permissions set through Exchange.

Has anyone else seen this strange behavior?

G

Gavin-Zhang

Hi Ssaanb,
I would suggest that you upgrade your exchange server as exchange 2010 sp1.
Per your description, do you mean open the room's calendar thorough the several ways?
You use the cmdlet add-mailboxfolderpermission give some user account for the room as Publishing Editor permisssion, right?
Per my known, the cmdlet would gave a useraccount a permission for a special folder of others, you just could open the special folder through the Outlook, it is a feature of the outlook.
If you use OWA, the account could open other's shared folder, you could refer to below:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232199.aspx
And I also do some test through below way using OWA
calendar->shared->add calendar->check the orgnization calendar (open room1)
I could all the things as publishing edit permission
Regards!
Gavin

S

Sasanb

Gavin,

Than you for the reply. We have not applied SP1 yet, and I am hoping that it will resolve the issue sfter we apply it next week.

As far as the permissions are concerned, I use the cmdlet as you described to assign " Publishing Editor" role to a couple of users and to assign " Reviewer" as default role for the Calendar folder of the resource. I then try to open this calendar from different user's mailboxes as a shared calendar.

As a test, I checnged the default permission of the Calendar folder for this room to " None" . When I tried to open that calendar from an Outlook 2007 user's computer as a shared calendar, I got the message that I did not have permission to view that calendar, which is what I expected. When I try openning it from an Outlook 2010 user's computer as a shared calendar, it opens just fine (the user is not one of the people with Publishing Editor role). Now if I log into OWA as the same Outlook 2010 user and try to open the same calendar as a shared calendar, I get the message that I don't have the permission to view that calendar.

I hope this is clear.

Sasab

G

Gavin-Zhang

Hi Sasanb,
Sure, I understand what your description.
And I also make some tests, the result is the same, as I refered, could you please test as below:
using OWA, calendar->shared->add calendar->check the orgnization calendar (open room1)
I could all the things as publishing edit permission.
And it seems odd, I would escalate it, and update here.
Regards!
Gavin

S

Sasanb

Gavin,

I tried the OWA again. For me the permissions work correctly from OWA and so what they are supposed to do. They do not work right from Outlook 2010. Outlook 2010 automatically gives me " Publishing Editior" permission, even though that is not how the permission is set in Exchange 2010.

Sasanb

G

Gavin-Zhang

Hi Sasanb,
We could use get-mailboxfolderpermission for the special folder to check which user has what permission.
Eegards!
Gavin

S

Sasanb

Hi Sasanb,
We could use get-mailboxfolderpermission for the special folder to check which user has what permission.
Eegards!
Gavin
Yes. So could I. And I saw that the resource calendar had the permissions I had set, but Outlook 2010 is ignoring those permissions.

G

Gavin-Zhang

Hi Sasnb,
I have make some test like yours, and everything work well for outlook.
Note, it usually need a period to sync the permission on the mialbox folder, you could restart the IS service to let the change active immediately.
Regards!
Gavin

S

Sasanb

Gavin,

I am not sure which part you say is working for you. Are you saying that Outlook 2010 is recognizing the correct Exchange permissions for you?

I called the Microsoft Exchange group and they were able to duplicate my results in their lab. However, they said since OWA is working correctly and Outlook 2010 is not, I would have to contact the Outlook team and it is not their responsibility to help. That is very odd coming from Microsoft. It must be the new support groups. Microsoft support used to be very proactive. If one group discovered such a problem, they would get someone from another group on the phone and try to resolve the issue. I guess Microsoft support is not what it used to be.

Sasanb

G

Gavin-Zhang

Hi Sasanb,
I am sorry ot hear about that. It sounds very pity!
Let me describle my test detailed,
1. I use add-mailboxfolderpermission through EMS gave the room calendar publishing edit permission for other one account
2. I could open other user's folder (room's calendar folder) through outlook
3. I could using OWA, calendar->shared->add calendar->check the orgnization calendar (open room1)
I could do all the things(create/delete and so on) as publishing edit permission.
4. I use the method referred by http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232199.aspx
but could not open the calendar
Sure, I use outlook 2010, and what permission did you give the other account? I could make a test for you again.
Regards!
Gavin