Need to setup Exchange Server 2010 But AD domain name is not registered to our company.

• Thread starter Chris Tech
  • Start date Views 1,120
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris Tech

Hello:

I have setup an AD integrated with DNS and DHCP using Win 2008. The domain name that I used for the local domain is not registered to us. Initially, I just want to setup the local Active Directory with DNS and DHCP, so I have used the " company.com" as the domain name to use. However, I am preparing to setup the Exchange Server 2010 and I am not sure how the email addresses will be affected for not using a registered domain name in the Exchange 2010 setup. We are currently using Network Solutions for our email and web-hosting. And the registered domain name is different from our local domain name. For instance, our email address will show as " email@differentcompanyname.com" . And this is through Network Solutions. Please advice.

B

Brian Day MCITP

What is your desired outcome?

Internal AD domain names and DNS zones are 100% unrelated to external Internet DNS zones. If you don't own company.com then you won't be able to receive email from the Internet using @company.com addresses, but you could use @company.com addresses internally. It would probably make for some serious user confusion. Do you plain on obtaining the company.com namespace on the Internet?

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
My posts are provided "AS IS" with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.

C

Chris Tech

I am hoping to keep the current infrastructure of using local domain name and add a exchange server to our local domain where we can host our email server. However, I am wondering how the users account in the AD will be integrated to the exchange to setup their emails. For instance, the user account in the AD is charlie.pavlov@company.com. If I have successfully setup the Exchange server and I want to add mailbox for Charlie Pavlov, how can I setup the email account or mail box without using the company.com and use the actual registered company's domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.