Microsoft Exchange Replication Service VSS Writer

• Thread starter CalvinVong
  • Start date Views 1,861
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CalvinVong

What is the impact of disabling the Microsoft Exchange Replication Service VSS Writer? Will it affect the functionality and performance of the DAG group?

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

You wont be able to do backups on the passive nodes per:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876874.aspx
Passive mailbox database copies are backed up using a separate VSS writer in the Microsoft Exchange Replication service. The Microsoft Exchange Replication service VSS Writer doesn't support restores. Although you can back up a passive mailbox database copy using Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager or a third-party Exchange-aware VSS-based application, you can't perform a VSS restore directly to a passive mailbox database copy. However, you can perform a VSS restore to an alternate location, suspend replication to the passive copy, and then copy the database and log files from the alternate location to the location of the passive database copy in the file system.

C

CalvinVong

Yes. I have to back up the passive database copies using Server Backup. Therefore I have to disable the Exchange Replication VSS writer. However I would like to know if doing so will affect the normal operations of the DAG group such as replication and failover.

Status
Not open for further replies.