Recover / Restore Exchange 2010 Database

• Thread starter Mike__W
  • Start date Views 2,284
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike__W

Hi All... hopefully someone can point me in right direction... background first...

Not ideal, but Ex2010 installed on single domain controller (2008 R2), supporting a network of 10 users. Catastrophic failure of this server, but I do have a straight copy of the mailbox edb file. Have checked this file with eseutil which indicates clean shutdown and no outstanding log files etc...

Have rebuilt server, and recreated active directory, with same user names etc. As far as I can tell the same domain, organisational units etc have been used, but I cannot be 100% certain. Clean installation of Ex2010 on to this server, and user mailboxes recereated. Again, as fair as I can tell / recall, same naming conventions for organisation and users as previous.

Rightly or wrongly have assumed I can use database portability to get the old database into the new exchange server, following the guidlines in this MS articles " Move a Mailbox database using Database Portability" http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876926.aspx

Almost certain I am following this guide to the letter, it's just not working for me. I've tried two different scenarios:

1. Path for new database and file name identical to the old version; after creating the new database, copy the old edb file, logs and catalogue to the folder for the new database and mount the new databse. All that happens is an edb called tmp.edb is created, which the database uses as a temp email edb

2. Create new path and filename for new database; copy old edb, logs and catalogue to new folder. Mount database. This time a brand new edb file is created, named correctly, and users can access this, but it's empty. The old edb remains in the folder, untouched...

Any ideas where i'm going wrong? Is this the correct method for what i am trying to achieve? Anything obvious i'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

S

Steve Goodman

The database portability relies on AD being intact, basically. First question is, is the organisational name the same, and are you looking for an easy tool that will assist you?

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

M

Mike__W

Steve - thanks for above; as far as I can tell the organisational name is the same, although I cannot be 100% certain as the setup of the new DC and Ex2010 was done from memory (no written documentation to refer). This is a very simple setup though, so I'm 99% certain!! Essentially all I actually want to do is to get the old mailboxes and contacts out of the old edb file and into a new databse... if there was a tool (hopefully FOC) to do this, or another method, I'd be interested!!

Mike

S

Steve Goodman

Hi Mike,

OK, you have a couple of options.

First option is the one that costs - There are tools such as OnTrack PowerControls for Exchange . With the OnTrack tools, there is a free trial that will let you see what data is recoverable, and it's fairly easy to use, and can import the data back into mailboxes on the server. IIRC the Org name doesn't need to be the same.

The second, free option is to use the built-in features in Exchange to turn that EDB into a recovery database - so long as the Org Name matches. To do this you need to use the Exchange Management Shell, but for 10 users and a single database it's not too complicated.

Once you mount the EDB as a recovery DB, use Get-MailboxStatistics -Database YourRecoveryDBName to list the names of the mailboxes in the recovery database. Because the underlying IDs of the old and new AD accounts won't match, you will have to create the mailboxes for those 10 users first, then import the old data into a subfolder using the " -TargetFolder" option and also specify " -RecoveryMailbox" option when using Restore-Mailbox.

Let me know if you try the second option and get stuck!

Steve

Steve Goodman

T

Troy Werelius

Alternatively check out Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp You can get a DEMO license for DIgiScope on the fly which will let you open any OFFLINE database so as Steve says you can see what data is available and then to do the recovery you will need to purchase license, however, the good news is that there are affordable Project Based licenses for issues just like this.Troy Werelius
www.Lucid8.com

M

Mike__W

Steve / Troy... Thanks for the advice, appreciated. I'll check out both applications you mention, but will probably try the Recovery Database option once I'm happy the mailboxes are " usable" . I'll be sure to let you know how I get on.

Mike

M

Mike__W

Hi Steve - your advice to use recovery database and then the -TargetFolder option worked perfectly. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Mike

S

Steve Goodman

Hi Mike,

That's fantastic news :) Glad it's all sorted.

Do you need any advice on backup of the new environment to ensure you have better AD and Exchange aware backups?

Steve

Steve Goodman

Status
Not open for further replies.