Exchange 2010 sp1 Address Book service won't start after static RPC port reconfiguration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ibewhoiam

I followed the instructions from here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/configuring-static-rpc-ports-on-an-exchange-2010-client-access-server.aspx

Well, with one exception... I created a DWORD instead of string value for the Address book. I restarted the services and everything was fine until I realized that the Address book was not working correctly in the clients. After much back tracking I realized that the DWORD was incorrect and needed to be replaced with a String value.

So I removed the DWORD and added the String value thinking everything would work. But I can't get the Microsoft Exchange Address Book service to start! I have rebooted a few times to no avail. It will not start even though I have removed all entries from the registry.

Brief description of Configuration...

Two Exchange 2010 CAS servers using NLB in coexistance with a Exchange 2007 environment.

The only thing I am getting in the logs is this:

Log Name: System

Source: Service Control Manager

Date: 12/8/2010 5:35:13 PM

Event ID: 7000

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: SERVER

Description:

The Microsoft Exchange Address Book service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
and

Log Name: System

Source: Service Control Manager

Date: 12/8/2010 5:35:13 PM

Event ID: 7009

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: SERVER

Description:

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Microsoft Exchange Address Book service to connect.

Any ideas? I thought about reinstalling sp1 but this is a fully configured production machine and was thinking it might cause more issues. Thanks for any and every help.
 
I

ibewhoiam

So, I got it working...

Here is how...

The detail I left out was that I also had a BB server. Per BB's instructions they instruct one to change a variable in the " microsoft.exchange.address book.service.exe.config" file called the MaxSessionsPerUser. Well in SP1 that variable isn't there apparently. I think one of the other admins might have added that value per their instructions. I simply removed that variable and the services started right up...

here is an example of the file as I found it....

<?xml version=" 1.0" encoding=" utf-8" ?>

<configuration>
<runtime>
<gcServer enabled=" true" />
<generatePublisherEvidence enabled=" false" />
</runtime>
<appSettings>
<!-- Enables and disables the logging for the address book service. -->
<add key=" ProtocolLoggingEnabled" value=" true" />
<!-- Specifies the folder in which log files will be generated. -->
<add key=" LogFilePath" value=" C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Logging\AddressBook Service\" />
<!-- Specifies the max size that a single log file can grow to before a new one is generated. -->
<add key=" PerFileMaxSize" value=" 10MB" />
<!-- Specifies the max size that the entire directory of logs can grow to before the oldest log is deleted. -->
<add key=" MaxDirectorySize" value=" 1GB" />
<!-- Specifies length of time in hours log files will be retained before being deleted. -->
<add key=" MaxRetentionPeriod" value=" 720" />
<!-- Specifies if we need to switch log file each hour. -->
<add key=" ApplyHourPrecision" value=" true" />
</appSettings>

</configuration>

MaxSessionsPerUser=100000

I just removed the " MaxSessionsPerUser=100000" , saved and the service started right up.

I am not sure what a " clean" version of that file looks like. An example would be helpful - Id rather not kick every BB user of our exchange server.

Futhermore: Is the MaxSessionsPerUser variable necessary for BB installation with sp1 (I know this isn't a BB forum but just so in case others run into the same issue)?

Did me deleting that variable cause any problems??
 
G

Gavin-Zhang

Hi ibewhoiam,
Thanks for your sharing!
-> I am not sure what a " clean" version of that file looks like. An example would be helpful - Id rather not kick every BB user of our exchange server.
A: I have checked the file you referred, there is just a addtional text " MaxSessionsPerUser=100000" different from the orginal file.
In my opinion, other one maybe added the variable in a wrong way.
It should be as below:
<add key=&ldquo;MaxSessionsPerUser&rdquo; value=&ldquo;100000&rdquo; />
You could refer to below:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332317.aspx
It is better to reset the value of the maxsessionperuser when you have BB and windows mobile users, the default value is 50, sometimes maybe a limitation.
Regards!
Gavin
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top