Microsoft Exchange shared contacts not showing up in outlook users with permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dean DeLisle

In exchange when we set contacts to be shared with our users - the users can see the folders. However when we go through sending an email " To" and search contact they do not appear in the search or the folders do no appear as an option in the list of contacts. What are the settings we are missing.

Thanks for your help!

Dean

S

Sembee [MVP]

Right click on the shared folder and choose Show as an Outlook Address Book.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

A

atcnf2008

Thank you Simon.

Our system: exchange 2010 SP1 RU2, Outlook 2007 SP2, But I could NOT see such " Show as an Outlook Address Book" when righ-click, could you please help?

S

Sembee [MVP]

Exchange version doesn't matter.
You should have a tab called Outlook Address Book. The option to select is on there.

Simon.

A

atcnf2008

I'm sorry Simon, I looked around all possible way and could NOT see such an option.

I can Open Contacts-->People's Contacts --> Another User's Contact, NO problem, Right-mouse click will show {OPEN, Open In a New Window, Move.., Copy..,Delete..,Rename,Move up in list, move down list, Mark all as Read,Share... Properties} menus; when Click Address Book: it shows My own contact lists Under " Outlook Address Book" , also shown " Global Address List" and " All Address Lists" , there simply is no way to show the Shared contact from other people.

I have been bewildered by this for a while becuase our users can share Contacts but can't use them when they send email, so further enlightment is requested on how to proceed on this subject. Thank you

T

testrrrr

Choose Properties. After that you will find a Tab called " Outlook Adressbook" . On that tab there is a possibilty to mark " show as Adresssbook" .

A

atcnf2008

Thanks Simon,

Sorry to tell you there is NO such option: The properties have 2 Tabs, the 1st tab is " General" , the 2nd Tab is " Summary" , under which it shows " Folder Contacts" with the Other user's Name and a Properties Button ( when clicked it will show the user's detailed info like phone/notes etc).

Previously I googled for a while, I see others are talking about " creating a new Outlook Profile for the sharing user" , then you can make the Shared Contacts as " address Book" , the instruction is for Outlook 2003, I tried on Outlook 2007 without success.

I also Knew there is a Public Folder option ( if you put Contact inside Public folder you are able to use it as a sending address book).

Did I really miss something here? this looks a very simple question but I can't get it work.

I do appreciate your time and efforts to help me sort this thing out

S

Sembee [MVP]

If you right click on your own Contacts folder, does the tab show there?

How are you opening the additional mailbox with the shared contacts in it?
With Outlook 2003 you would have to install the Outlook Address Book service. I don't see it in Outlook 2010, and I don't have an Outlook 2007 system to look at.

Simon.

T

testrrrr

I see now what you mean - if you open an others contacts Folder like you described you really dont get this " Outlook Adressbook" Tab. I don't think is is possible to get it working this way. I suggest you try the public folder option - we use that and I know that that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.