Public Folders Replica(s) - is there only one if there are multiple sites?

• Thread starter bingdaddy
  • Start date Views 1,112
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bingdaddy

I am working on decommissioning our Exchange 2003 environment. I have ran the two powershell commands to addReplicas to the new Exchange 2010 Servers as well as MoveReplicas from the 2003 server to the 2010 server. My question is: being that we have multiple sites, do we have multple hierarchies? Or a better way to ask, do I have to do a MoveReplica for every Exchange Administravie Group? How can I tell who owns the hierachy? When I use ADSIEDIT to view the Folder Hierarchies, I see the CN-Public Folders...under the old Administrative Group called CC (which I was told will always remain). Lastly, when I am in the Exchange 2003 console and I expand our first admin group (CC) and drill down to the Public Folders under Servers, all the replicas have been moved; however, when I jump down to our other site (OR) and expand it there, I see all the contents that, in my mind, would have disappeared when I did a move all replicas.

Karl

Karl

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

There is only one mapi higharchy replicated to all the pf server stores in the org.

You have to remove folder replicas from all the legacy servers if you want to remove them. You do not remove the hierarchy.

B

bingdaddy

Thanks Andy, I had done this previously and now, just today I found information regarding dragging and dropping the Public Folders folder from the primary admin group within ESM to the Exchange Administratorve Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT). Is it OK that I performed this step after I ran the movereplicas powershell command (well over a month ago)?Karl

B

bingdaddy

Also, I have one item or folder that will not remove itself from the Public Folder Instances. I do see it in the 2010 structure, so can I safely remove it from ESM?

Karl

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Thanks Andy, I had done this previously and now, just today I found information regarding dragging and dropping the Public Folders folder from the primary admin group within ESM to the Exchange Administratorve Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT). Is it OK that I performed this step after I ran the movereplicas powershell command (well over a month ago)? Karl
Yes. It can be done afterwards.

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Also, I have one item or folder that will not remove itself from the Public Folder Instances. I do see it in the 2010 structure, so can I safely remove it from ESM?
Karl
Do the item counts match between the 2003 and 2010 folder replicas?

If so, you can remove the 2003 replica. If you cant remove that replica, I would export the folder to a pst, create a new one, import it back to the new folder, give it the same perms as the original, then delete the original.If its mail-enabled, be sure to make note of the proxyaddresses so you can re-add them to the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.