Initial Outlook Configuration with AutoDiscover populates wrong email address

• Thread starter MKSanchez
  • Start date Views 2,449
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MKSanchez

Hi,

This one is pushing me right over the edge....

Add a new user in AD.

Add a new user mailbox for the new user in Exchange 2007 Management Console.

Check the user's mailbox properties (specifically Email addresses). All OK.

New user logs in to domain workstation. OK.

User starts Outlook 2007.

Outlook starts the Account Configuration Wizard.

" Yes" ...click next. OK

" Your Name" filed is correct.

" E-Mail Address" field is incorrect. Instead of the email address associated with the user (which is listed correctly in exchange mailbox properties and AD user properties), the field is populated with the users`s AD account name ie: username@domain.

Can anyone shed some light on this for meÉ

Thanks in advance.

M

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Is it causing you problems?

Sounds like its populating the name field with the UPN. Is that a bad thing?

X

xchargerx

Hmmm...had to sign in using a different ID...oh well...MKSanchez here...

Yes it does cause a problem:

I delegate the outlook setup to the users themselves. Bascially a few clicks and they're good to go. Now they have to replace the UPN with their actual email addresss and supply their password. This basically blows away the purpose of autodiscover: to reduce complexity of adding an outlook account. Now I have new users calling help desk to ask " what's my email address?" ..." what do I do at this prompt?" ...etc...

So I'm highly motivated to solve this issue.

M

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Hmmm...had to sign in using a different ID...oh well...MKSanchez here...

Yes it does cause a problem:

I delegate the outlook setup to the users themselves. Bascially a few clicks and they're good to go. Now they have to replace the UPN with their actual email addresss and supply their password. This basically blows away the purpose of autodiscover: to reduce complexity of adding an outlook account. Now I have new users calling help desk to ask " what's my email address?" ..." what do I do at this prompt?" ...etc...

So I'm highly motivated to solve this issue.

M
Why do they have to replace the UPN with their actual SMTP address? I'm missing something here.

X

xchargerx

They don't " have to" . The autodiscover stll finds their account but in outlook the account name shows up as the UPN. The users then need to rename it to something they are famililiar with. Also, I prefer to hide the implementation of certain things in AD (like UPN's) from the users. I know this may seem like a quibble, but it makes my job so much easier. I'd like the process to return to its former behaviour...ie autofill the users email address in the outlook initial auto configuration. How canb I do this?

Thanks for your help.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.