Setup mail for Exchange 2010 through Active Directory on Server 2008 R2 Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnny Bergeron

I have recently setup a DC running Server 2008 R2 Standard, and I added Exchange Server 2010. When I look at a users properties in ADUC, I do not see the tabs that are associated with Exchange. I verrified that Management Tools was installed. Is there something that I am missing?? This is the first time I ever worked with Server 2008 and Exchange 2010, most of my experience comes from Server 2003 and older versions of exchange.

S

Steve Goodman

Hi Johnny,

From Exchange 2007 onwards, ADUC no longer shows the Exchange attributes for the users. All administration for Exchange mailboxes is done either via the Exchange Management Console, or the Exchange Management Shell.

The reason for this is because both EMC and EMS are based upon Powershell, and there is no equivalent to the Recipient Update Service as such picking up AD attribute changes and applying them to Exchange.

Steve

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

S

Sembee [MVP]

You aren't missing anything.
The management of Exchange attributes on the AD objects is now done exclusively through EMC, not ADUC. Many people who have come from Exchange 2003 get caught out, so don't worry.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

J

Johnny Bergeron

Good deal... Thanks for the info... I thought I had broken it!! Now I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.