outlook 2003 folders under inbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

vain4

A user on our exchange 2003 mail system is using outlook 2003. he created a bunch of folders under his inbox and has moved mail in these folders to sort mail.

his pc died and another was put in to replace it. he wasn't setup with a personal file location(.pst file) so I assumed the folders he was talking about would be on the new machine when we pointed his new client at the exchange server. But I cannot find these folders he is talking about. the hard drive for the old machine is still available but i cannot seem to find where these folders are that he talks about.

any help would be appreciated

catherized

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
Are you sure they were under his Mailbox's Inbox? It sounds like they were in a pst - if so, and if he used the default location, they are in the local appdata folder under the user account - at \microsoft\outlook - http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/filepath.htm has the complete paths for both xp and win7/vista. Oh, and don't forget to unhide them - the path is all hidden folders.

vain4

I almost postitve that the folders I am looking for have been created under the inbox.

I wish it was in a .pst file but it is not. there is a archive.pst in that location but I opened it in outlook and it's just an archive of sent items. there is an outlook.ost file there that is huge! (about 2GB) maybe what i'm looking for is in there? i'm trying to see how i can open this file and see the contents or maybe try to convert it to a .pst somehow.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
While they could be in the ost, unless they were added right before the crash, they would have synced back to the server. If he was working offline, they wouldn't sync back until he went online, but as soon as he did, they'd start syncing. You should at least see some of the folders and mail in the mailbox on the server.

There are ost recovery tools - see http://www.slipstick.com/problems/pst-repair/convert-an-exchange-offline-file-ost-to-a-personal-file-pst/ - I recommend trying either Adv Exchange Recovery at the top or Stellar's tool. (Both have free trials - i *think* the trials will show you the full folder tree but only 5 messages.)

The 2GB ost should not be an issue - Outlook 2003 supports unicode ost files that can grow to 1TB. Outlook creates unicode by default if the server supports it. (Ex 2003 does.) I forget if Outlook makes you create a new ost when upgrading from an older one - so if his Outlook was upgraded from an older version, its possible its an ANSI ost with a limit of just under 2GB. If this is the case, the recovery software will fix it. Outlook would have stopped working if the ost got too big though.

vain4

While they could be in the ost, unless they were added right before the crash, they would have synced back to the server. If he was working offline, they wouldn't sync back until he went online, but as soon as he did, they'd start syncing. You should at least see some of the folders and mail in the mailbox on the server.
he always works online so my guess is that the .ost file contains what I am looking for.

is there a way I can view the contents of his mailbox on the server without an outlook client?

vain4

Problem solved. it turns out the missing folders where created under an inbox just not the exchange server inbox. they where in a .pst file that was located on a server share not the users machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.