How to UNDO a deleted category from Outlook 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

PalmyFolch

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
I was trying to color code a category entitled FINANCE. I right clicked "Categorize" and saw the FINANCE category so I checked it without realizing that the heading of this list stated "Clear all categories" which means that the list was only to clear any of the categories checked. Too late. My entire FINANCE category was removed with all of its contents. This is one of the most important categories on my address book.

How can I UNDO my mistake and bring the category and all of its contents back to the address book?

larry

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
You can't undo it - you can re-categorizes all of the items. If you realize the mistake and the items are still selected, re-select the category. If you haven't done anything else to the contacts since then, add the modified field to the view - all of the items you removed the category from will have the same modified date.

Forum Admin

While larry's answer is correct, I'm not convinced you deleted the categories. Clear all is a separate command - if you selected the items and then the category name, you shouldn't have cleared the categories, unless it had the red box around the color. The red box means its applied ot the selected items and selecting it removed the category (this dialog toggles the categories off and on). If you did clear the category, follow Larry's advice and use the modified field to see the last modified times. If you haven't made changes since that time, every contact that had the category removed will have the same modified time.

Screenshot of dialog - arrow points to a category that is applied to the selected items:

cats_001.png

If you selected Clear all categories, then all categories on the selected items were removed, not just finance. That's harder to recover from - you'll know which ones were affected but won't know which categories were removed from each.

PalmyFolch

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
You can't undo it - you can re-categorizes all of the items. If you realize the mistake and the items are still selected, re-select the category. If you haven't done anything else to the contacts since then, add the modified field to the view - all of the items you removed the category from will have the same modified date.
Thank you Larry and Slipstick: After writing my message, I opened an address and clicked the icon for categories. Low and behold the category was still there. I then went to Read by Category and it appears that it only pops up for the categories that have entries or addresses. I tested it and that seems to be the case. So, what I lost were the addresses and everything else that I may have tagged as FINANCE. So, how do I undo the deleted addresses or how do I know if any addresses were deleted?

Slipstick: what is the modified field?

Forum Admin

So you deleted it from the master category list? If so, you need to add it back. If you just removed it from contacts, you need to add it back to the contacts (use larry's method.)

To show the modified date field, from a list view such as By Category, right click on the row of field names and choose Field Chooser. Find the Modified date field and drag it to the row of field names. The first 25 seconds of this tutorial http://www.slipstick.com/tutorials/private/private.htm show how to do this- you need to use the Modified field though, not private.

PalmyFolch

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
BTW, this tutorial shows how to upgrade to color categories- http://www.slipstick.com/tutorials/colorcat/upgrade.asp - you can do this to restore the category (and any others not in the master list) to the master list.
Slipstick: I'll need to watch the video and absorb what you mean. Will get back to you on that. Question: When I mistakenly clicked in FINANCE, did that action cleared that category from each item that was tagged FINANCE or did it remove the contact, as well?

Thanks for your help.

PalmyFolch

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Slipstick: I'll need to watch the video and absorb what you mean. Will get back to you on that. Question: When I mistakenly clicked in FINANCE, did that action cleared that category from each item that was tagged FINANCE or did it remove the contact, as well?

Thanks for your help.
Slipstick: I just watched the video and it seems to me that it refers to items marked private. I do not flag anything Private so this would not help. As I stated, the category entitled FINANCE still exist. I just do not know if I lost any contacts. I conducted another test. I added a contact and called it XXX. I then categorized it as FINANCE and BUSINESS. From this test it seems that if I lost anything it would be a contact that was categorized as FINANCE only since my test indicates that contact XXX remains under Business. Do you believe any contacts were deleted in their entirety from the address book? And if so, where would they be? They are not in the DELETED folder.

Sorry for all this trouble.

Forum Admin

Just the first 20 seconds or so of that video can be useful to you, to show you how to add a field to the view.

No, contacts were not deleted when you removed the category - you just need to find the ones that were in the category and add the category back. If you know which ones, fid and add the category back. If you removed the category from a lot of contacts, you can locate all of them by looking the Modified field - they'll all have the same modified time.

Forum Admin

Question: When I mistakenly clicked in FINANCE, did that action cleared that category from each item that was tagged FINANCE or did it remove the contact, as well?
it cleared the category only - the contact was not deleted.

What view are you using? If you go into Contacts and view by company, you should see all the contacts.

PalmyFolch

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Slipstick: Thank you for all your help. You are correct. All the contacts are still there. I now have to go through all of them and re tag the FINANCE ones.

You are a wonderful resource. Thanks... Thanks...

I have another issue which I'll address later on. This one drained me. LoL

PalmyFolch

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Slipstick,

Thank you so much for your help. I was able to find my contacts and re tag them.

You are a wonderful source of info. 'Till the next one!!

Status
Not open for further replies.