Outlook, Reminders, and Windows 7

Do you have problems 'invisible' reminders in Outlook?

• Yes, the reminder window doesn't come up on the screen and i miss the flashing task bar.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Yes, but its worth it not to be annoyed when the reminder takes focus

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No, I rarely or never miss seeing the reminders.

• I thought the usefulness of reminders went downhill when they went to one dialog. I liked the indivi

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have problems seeing Outlook reminders because they don't come up "in your face" on Windows 7?

A few people have told me its a problem on Windows XP too, but I don't recall it being as bad as it is with Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 - I miss more meetings since switching to Outlook 2010 than i ever did before.

Because I can't count on seeing Outlook reminders, I either write the meetings on post it notes and stick them to my monitor, or if i have a lot of meetings scheduled, i print out my daily calendar and tape it to the monitor.

What methods do you use to avoid missing meetings?

*** As with all of our polls, voting is open to everyone, but you need to be registered to leave a comment.

Call me old school but I'm still using OL2003 on an XP and a Vista computer and I get the pop up windows on my screen and the orange flashing in my task bar. I did change the sound for the reminder to be more than just the "ding", to make sure I pay attention to the alert. I also set the reminder to pop up earlier than I actually *need* it to remind me and then I hit the snooze button after changing the time I want it to snooze for. This double-reminder usually makes sure I don't *forget* an appointment.

I should add that I regularly change the sounds for my various reminders since we all get use to sounds we hear to regularly... like some people can live next to an airport or train tracks and get use to that racket. I find that George Carlin screaming out some obscene reminder works best... in my home office. :) Maybe not in a *normal* office environment. There are thousands of funny to more serious .wav files that can be downloaded and used instead of the default choices.

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Forcing a popup with a bit of VB might work:

Code:
Private Sub Application_Reminder(ByVal Item As Object)

If TypeOf Item Is AppointmentItem Then
   MsgBox "Message text goes here", vbSystemModal, "Message title goes here"
   End If

End Sub

It'll bring Outlook and a message box to the front, stealing focus from whatever you're typing.

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Forcing a popup with a bit of VB might work:

Code:
Private Sub Application_Reminder(ByVal Item As Object)

If TypeOf Item Is AppointmentItem Then
   MsgBox "Message text goes here", vbSystemModal, "Message title goes here"
   End If

End Sub
It'll bring Outlook and a message box to the front, stealing focus from whatever you're typing.
Hi!

I put the Code above in "Visual Basic Outlook 2010 Add-in" in VisualStudio.

When I compile the Add-In and try to add the DLL to my Outlook it throws an Error.

When I debug the Add-In directly from VisualStudio in Outlook 2010, the startup time increases dramaticly for loading the new Add-In but it works.

Since I don't want to start my Outlook every time via Debug out of VisualStudio, ..

i would need some Help, please!

Greetings

predor

larry

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
What is the error message?

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
What is the error message?
Outlook just opens a dialog and say

"Cannot open [Your DLL File]" (not sure what is the original Text in the english version I just have a german verison)

Status
Not open for further replies.