Status
Not open for further replies.

PalmyFolch

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
NEED YOUR HELP!!
While trying to synchronize my AXIM (PDA) using Outlook 2007, I came to find out that AXIM does not work with Windows 7 (even after downloading the drivers to make it compatible with Windows 7). So, I exported (from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2003) the Calendar, Contacts and Tasks (which are the only items I was concerned to synchronize) to a flash drive and gave them a new name so to not mess up the files already in both systems. I then imported the items into the current folder (Personal Folders.pst). My goal is to be able to synchronize the three files using Outlook 2003. NOTE: I keep Outlook 2003 “off-line” on my XP, since I changed systems from the Dell Satellite with Windows XP Professional to a Toshiba Qosmio Laptop with Windows 7. Here are my questions:

1. When I access Outlook 2003 the following message pops up: “The path specified for the file I:\CONTACTS 29-01-2011 .pst is not valid.” I then click OK and a window named “Create/Open Personal Folders File” pops up. I then clicked CANCEL and I am able to continue with Outlook 2003. Where did I go wrong?

2. Can Outlook 2007 be synchronized with Outlook 2003? If so, how is this done? This way I do not have to be exporting the data via a flash drive every day. (I do have both computers networked).

3. Is there a To Do List on Windows 2003? When I exported the Tasks from Windows 7, I could not find the To Do List in Windows 2003
4. A subfolder (newly created in Windows 7) from the tasks folder in Windows 7 did not get to Windows 2003 in the export process. All others exported fine. What did I do wrong?

Sorry for the lengthy e-Mail. I want to make sure all the kinks are worked before attempting to synchronize to the AXIM PDA.

Thanks a bunch.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
1. It's looking for the pst on the flash drive. Look in your folder list (press Ctrl+6 to jump to it) - is it there? if so, right click on it and choose close.

2. Not really, at least not without some effort. If they are networked, i'd close outlook 2007, copy the pst to the 2003 machine then open it in the outlook 2003 profile. There are sync tools at http://slipstick.me/sync, if you want an automated method.

3. Outlook 2003 does not have the To-do list. (It's new in 2007.) You'll have the tasks folder and when viewing the calendar, a taskpad.

4. Not sure what could have happened- all folders should export and import.

PalmyFolch

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Diane: Thanks for the prompt reply.

1. When you say "Look in your folder list (press Ctrl+6 to jump to it)", which folder am I looking, the flash drive or C:\....Outlook? Also, it may be useful if I tell you how finish the import. I am using a Cruzer SanDisk flash drive. After finishing the import I have to close Outlook in order for the flash drive to allow me to eject it. Once the Cruzer indicates that it is safe to eject, I pull out the flash drive. I then open Outlook 2003 and the message pops up. This happens each time I open Outlook 2003. I looked in the Outlook folder that resides under my "Documents and Settings" and the file names used on the flash drive are not within the list of files under this folder. However, they do reside in the flash drive.

2. When you suggest to copy the pst files from 2007 to 2003: Doesn't that also copy the e-Mails & sub-folders? I am only interested in the Contacts, Calendar & Tasks since I can get the e-Mail on my Palm Pre and I have re defined many of the sub-folders.

3. Too bad. Perhaps the time has come to look into purchasing a Blackberry. I just do not like the idea of having everything under one device. My contacts & calendar are extremely important since I work as a consultant and I am always traveling.

4. I will check on the next export and let you know.

Thanks a lot for your expeditious response.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
1. You need to look for the folder in Outlook's Folder list. Outlook is looking for the pst on the usb drive.

2. Yes, it will include everything.

3. Unless you are unhappy with the axim for other reasons, i'd suggest upgrading the old system to outook 2007. However, its a mess to copy everything to another computer to sync - for that reason, a blackberry might be better.

PalmyFolch

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Diane: Thank you for the response.

1. Like I earlier said, the files are not in the Outlook folder. And, why would Outlook be looking for the file in the flash drive after being imported to Outlook 2003?

3. When you say "upgrading the old system..." are you referring to the AXIM? If so, the AXIM will only work with the XP.

Forum Admin

When outlook imports, it opens the pst in the profile first - it should disconnect it when the import is finished. You can verify if its still in the profile by looking for it on outlook's Folder list (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+6) If it is, right click on it and choose close.

Oh, also stick the usb drive in and go to File, Open, Outlook Data file - is it starting in My Documents or the usb drive?

3. The XP computer with outlook 2003. Upgrade Outlook 2003 to 2007, so you have identical systems and the To-do list. BTW, the To-do list is just a tasks search folder containing all tasks and flagged items, while you don't have the To-do bar in outlook 2003, everything on the to-do list is in Outlook 2003. (The standard office license allows 2 installs. You need to be the main user of both with only one in use at a time - you can't install it on your computer and on the kids or spouse's computer. )

Status
Not open for further replies.