• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Outlook 2007 Rules randomly stopping working (non-Exchange Server)

Hi there

I’ve had a few issues with my home (i.e. non-Exchange Server) Outlook 2007 Rules randomly stopping working. The types of Rules that stop working are just ones where I have emails diverting drectly to folders.

Basically, they are set up but then randomly stop working so I recreate them which then puts a “(1)” at the end of the Rule so that I know there is one that already exists, but then they randomly stop working!

I’ve tried deleting them and then recreating them, but they're just not holding. Really appreciate any advice.

Cheers - Steph

catherized

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
what type of email account? How do the rules read? Do they work if you use Run Rules Now?

Hello, sorry for the delay in reply. In response:

What type of email account?: POP/SMTP

How do the rules read?: There are a variety. One example is the type Move emails from XX (email address/person) to XX Folder

Do they work if you use Run Rules Now?: No - tried and this does nothing

Thanks so much

Steph

larry

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Did you try removing the rules and recreating them or at least repoint the fields? (click on the blue underlined links in the lower screen of the rules pane and verify the entires are correct)

That they don't work when you use Run Rules now could mean the rules are corrupt - you may want to restart outlook using the /cleanrules switch.

Hi Larry - In answer to your qn: yes we did.

Would you mind advising how to use the cleanrules? is it a case of going:

Close Outlook

Start

Run

Typing in: outlook.exe /cleanrules in the 'Open' box

then clicking OK?

It's just that when I click "OK" all it seems to do is open Outlook....

Many thanks...

catherized

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
not larry, but yes, that is all you need to do. It cleans the rules as it loads - you won't notice anything except no rules. For this reason, you might want to export the rules before using the switch, especially if you have a lot of rules. That way if you test a rule and it doesn't work, you can import the rules back into outlook.