Outlook send invitation in rtf-format instead of html-format

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterhva

Outlook version
Email Account
Hello,

We use Outlook 2007 and connect via the outlook connector to a SUN JES backend.

It works fine expect when we send an invitation.

This invitation cannot be read via a non-outlook email-client like Thunderbird.

Outlook sends this invitation in rtf-format.

However under Tools, Options, Mail Format tab outlook is set to send HTML-mail

Also the options are set to convert to HTML-format.

Further the recipient the adress-book is set to let outlook decide the format.

Also the option to use iCalendar-format is not checked and greyed out (this is probably normal).

How to get Outlook configured to send invitations in html instead of rtf format?

Thanks,

Peter

The option to send ical to the internet should not be disabled and should solve the problem.

Are you using a group policy that is disabling that option?

The option to send ical to the internet should not be disabled and should solve the problem.

Are you using a group policy that is disabling that option?

Thanks for the reply.

The PC is not part of an AD.

Could it be a setting in the outlook connector?

Peter

The ical format is the meeting invite version of 'html to the internet'. You need to enable that option.

You say you are using the Outlook Connector - this is a special connector that works with your email server, not the addin we commonly refer to as the Outlook Connector that works with hotmail, correct?

Check this registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\Calendar

DWord: SendMtgAsICAL

Value: 1 for use ical to the internet.

Also check for the same DWord under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\Calendar - this is where group policy settings are stored.

The ical format is the meeting invite version of 'html to the internet'. You need to enable that option.

You say you are using the Outlook Connector - this is a special connector that works with your email server, not the addin we commonly refer to as the Outlook Connector that works with hotmail, correct?

Check this registry:

Also check for the same DWord under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\Calendar - this is where group policy settings are stored.

Thanks for your response Diane.

You are correct, we use the Sun/Oracle outlook connector.

There was no registry DWord SendMtgAsICAL in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\Calendar

so I added it.

Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\ there is only one map called Preferences

Adding DWord: SendMtgAsICAL did not help.

How to proceed?

Peter

If you double click on the recipient's address and check the properties, is it set to always use RTF? Also, delete the autocomplete cache and test it as RTF settings are remembered.

See Recipients are receiving winmail.dat attachments for one solution, although I'm not sure if it will help with meetings. They might get plain text messages, not icals.

See Understanding the Nickname Cache if you need help finding the autocomplete cache (NK2).

When I double click on the recipient's address it says Let Outlook decide.

Followed both instructions.

Outlook is set to send always in HTML.

However invitations are in RTF-format.

I'm not sure if emails are in html-format. Is there a way to see if a message is sent in HTML or RTF format on the recepient-side.

Peter

Is there a way to see if a message is sent in HTML or RTF format on the recipient-side.

Only by asking the recipient.

Do others users have the same problem? It could be the connector causing it.

Yes, it can overrule Outlook - it has the mail last. I'm guessing, because the option to use ical is disabled/grayed out, that its the connector doing it since you said there is no group policy and you checked the policy keys in the registry.

Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\ there is only one map called Preferences

Adding DWord: SendMtgAsICAL did not help.[/QUOTE]
Just checking on this-

What value did you give this? (1 is needed) (I assume you created the options and calendar keys if they did not exist. :))

I also assume outlook has been restarted since you tried this - some settings take effect immediately, others need a restart.

Adding DWord: SendMtgAsICAL did not help.
Just checking on this-

What value did you give this? (1 is needed) (I assume you created the options and calendar keys if they did not exist. :))

I also assume outlook has been restarted since you tried this - some settings take effect immediately, others need a restart.
Hi Diane,

Response took a while.

Got a fresh install and made the adjustement.

Yes, the Dword SendMtgAsICAL got the value 1

Still invitations in RTF-format.

I think we can concluded it is a connector issue, not an outlook issue.

I will do my research on that part.

Thanks for the help.

Peter

Hi,

When I deinstall the oracle outlook connector and make an appointment in a local calendar the invitation is sent in html-format.

It's definitely an oracle outlook connector problem.

Thanks again for all the help.

Peter

Thanks for the confirmation.

In what format are Outlook calendar invites sent internally within the Exchange server? I know that .ics files have an xml-like construct so is each invite between users validated by an xml schema or a completely different format?

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

Check this registry:

The meeting invites are sent with a TNEF wrapper - aka winmail.dat. The invites are binary format. When they are sent outside of the exchange server, outlook can convert them to ics.

The meeting invites are sent with a TNEF wrapper - aka winmail.dat. The invites are binary format. When they are sent outside of the exchange server, outlook can convert them to ics.

But when sent outside the Exchange server, are they any available connectors that can transmit the invites as pure XML?

As pure XML, AFAIK, no. A quickie web search found some questions but no real solutions that i could see - and none that applied specifically to Exchange (or even Outlook).

Status
Not open for further replies.