Outlook.pst problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordfan

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
IMAP
Yesterday my hard drive started going south on me so I replaced and re-installed win 7 64 bit. I also re-installed Outlook 2007. All went fine smoothly until the next series of events.

The newly created pst file I moved to another folder and just copied the original pst in its place. I think that in itself was ok but I changed my mind undid everything. I wanted to just import everything in instead. Now I have the default pst file and another personal folder pointing to the where the original pst is. I have my contacts from the old pst but I just want one personal file with all my contacts. Can I go to file/data files and remove the one from the old drive, then do an import? Or is there another solution?

I hope the above is somewhat clear?

Thanks

saigasmith

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
You should be able to just remove the other data file and then import it into Outlook, this way you will have everything in one active .pst file.

fordfan

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
IMAP
You should be able to just remove the other data file and then import it into Outlook, this way you will have everything in one active .pst file.
I need to disengage the other data file first. When attempting to import I get the message that the data file is already in use.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
If the pst is already in outlook, you can drag or use Move to folder command to move the items. It's better than using import as the modified dates won't be changed. If you have messages or other items organized in subfolders, drag the subfolder folder to the other pst file - everything in it, including any subfolders within the folder, will move. In the inbox and other default folders, use a list view, select all and drag or use the move to folder command.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The newly created pst file I moved to another folder and just copied the original pst in its place. I think that in itself was ok but I changed my mind undid everything. I wanted to just import everything in instead. Now I have the default pst file and another personal folder pointing to the where the original pst is. I have my contacts from the old pst but I just want one personal file with all my contacts. Can I go to file/data files and remove the one from the old drive, then do an import? Or is there another solution?

The bolded part is where you went wrong - that will corrupt profiles (it used to work in older versions but fails now). At this point i would ignore my earlier advice and make a new profile - close Outlook, go into Control panel, Mail and make a new profile than add the old pst to the profile and set it as default *before* you open the profile in outlook.

If you need help making a new profile, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/how-to-create-a-new-profile/ for step by step instructions.

fordfan

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
IMAP
Thanks Diane. I figured it was that move was not the right move. I made one last import attempt and all seems to be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.