Out of Office Assistant & HTML Replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

James-Newgate

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
We are running Outlook Exchange Server 2007 with copies of Outlook 2003 and 2007.

What we want to do is get the Out of Office Assistant to send HTML emails instead of plain text ones.

Outlook Exchange seems to be completely incapable of doing this?

I can get the Outlook Client to send HTML Out of Office emails, but then the client needs to be on all the time for this to work (obviously not acceptable). I have also gone into the Out of Office Assistant and created a rule to Reply with a HTML email - however this only seems to work internally, when tested from an external email address we got nothing in response.

Ive spent a while trying to figure this out; searching the web (and this forum) has yeilded nothing. If it is not possible to get the Out of Office Assistant to send HTML emails why is the stand alone version of Outlook capable of sending HTML Out of Office Emails, but the more expensive version of Outlook + Exchange incapable of sending HTML Out of Office Emails? We are paying more money and yet missing features available in the cheaper option? Sorry, Im just getting slightly frustrated with something that should be simple. Perhaps I am missing something obvious?

Many thanks in advance for anybodies help with this issue.

James

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
First, how is Outlook doing the HTML out-of-office? If you are using a rule to reply with a template, this is not an OOF. It's a rule replying. :)

Is there a reason why you require HTML OOF? Typically, OOF say 'I'm out, call my coworker if its urgent, otherwise, wait till i'm back." There is really no reason why this needs to be HTML formatted. This is a perfect use of a smaller plain text response.

If you require a long, formatted reply then an (OOF) rule with a template is a better solution. You can set these up in the OOF dialog - Rules... button, Add Rule... then choose the option to reply with template. You can compose this template using HTML.

James-Newgate

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Thanks for your reply Diane.

First, how is Outlook doing the HTML out-of-office? If you are using a rule to reply with a template, this is not an OOF. It's a rule replying. :)
I think you are right. I simply googled how to set out of office emails and I got guides on how to do it in this "rule replying" way. Not really what Im after - I need the server to send the replies not the client.

If you require a long, formatted reply then an (OOF) rule with a template is a better solution. You can set these up in the OOF dialog - Rules... button, Add Rule... then choose the option to reply with template. You can compose this template using HTML.
Yes. This is the bit that only works internally. Ive set this up exactly as you describe here, and it works perfectly for anybody in-house, but for external email addresses they get nothing at all! Dont know why this is - I was kinda hoping that this would be a good work-around but apparently not.

Hopefully there is a work-around that does actually work?!?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
It should work, although i know there is a bug in one reply with template process server side. Does the rule error (unchecked/disabled, maybe an error message) or is it that the message doesn't reach the internet addresses?

It works fine in Exchange 2010 - I'll bring up my Ex2007 profile and test it.

James-Newgate

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
It should work, although i know there is a bug in one reply with template process server side. Does the rule error (unchecked/disabled, maybe an error message) or is it that the message doesn't reach the internet addresses?

It works fine in Exchange 2010 - I'll bring up my Ex2007 profile and test it.
From what Ive been told exchange simply isnt sending any emails out to external email addresses, only internal ones. I will check with the guys who manage our Exchange server and get them to confirm whether there are any error messages being produced or not.

We will be upgrading to Exchange 2010 in the next few months however - hopefully this will sort it!

Many thanks for your help with this!

;)

Forum Admin

Have the guys check the settings for forwards etc to the internet - it could be a setting on the server blocking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.