Outlook 2010 and combining multiple rules into one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylane

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
My office switched to Outlook and Exchange 2010 recently, and as part of the switch I'm trying to better organize my mailbox, and part of that is to try and make much better use of rules to automatically categorize messages. One thing I'd like to do is have messages sent to, received from, or CCed to a person in a particular domain get categorized. I can create these as separate rules, but is it possible to create just a single rule for this...which will hopefully save on the limited rule space as well as make it easier to manage when making changes to the rule in the future?

dylane

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Thanks Diane. It isn't clear to me though how I would set up one rule that would apply both to messages I directly send to person X as well as messages that were sent to me, but also sent to or CCed to person X? When I start from a blank rule the first thing I have to specify is whether I want it to apply to email I send or email sent to me. Is there something I'm missing?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
No, that rule is not possible in outlook. You can have one for messages sent to person x and one for messages from person x.

To do a rule for incoming mail From or CC'd to person x, use the condition for 'words in the message header' where the word is person x's email address. Then you need a rule for messages sent to person x.

dylane

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Thanks Diane. That was exactly what I needed. Sorry for the late response, I was away from the computer most of the last couple of days. I'll mark this thread as solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.