[SOLVED] Live Contacts Not Syncing with Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevember

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Problem: I cannot get my Windows Live Contacts to sync with Outlook.

Details:

• I am using Outlook 2010 x32 on Win7x64
  • When I first first created my Outlook profile, I used my Hotmail account; it is my default e-mail & default data file
  • Connector is installed
  • Live Calendar syncs just fine with Outlook
  • I've read elsewhere that the "Contacts" folder should be a subfolder within my defaults folder - there isn't one for me (??)
Okay, I feel like I've soured the whole Earth and Internet for a solution, but obviously not or it'd be fixed! Please help me!

The Hotmail/live account's contacts should be in the Hotmail/Live account folder set.

Go to the Folder list - Ctrl+6 will get you there - do you see the contacts folder?

The list should like somthing like this: http://slipstick.me/jing/olc-folders.png

You're right; after pressing CTRL+6, all the folders are listed (I have no idea why they weren't all listed before..?)

However, unfortunately, the contacts themselves are still unsynced: I have 223 Contacts in Hotmail, but only 209 in Outlook. Any idea why?

Perhaps the contacts are only synced once a day or something? Is there a way to force sync them?

Thanks so much for your attention, Diane!

The missing ones might be corrupt - press Ctrl+F9 to force a sync of the folder. Also check the Sync issues folder - it might tell you why some aren't syncing.

If you can identify which ones are missing and look at them online, you might be able to figure out why they aren't synced.

Again Diane, thanks for your attention here.

Shift+F9 either didn't make a difference or didn't work - not sure how to check.

Can't seem to find anything about any of the contacts to cause them not to sync.

Here are some notifications from the sync log:

This morning:

8:44:41 Error with Send/Receive.

8:44:41 There was an error synchronizing your folder hierarchy. Error : 8de0000b.
<O:p</O:p

> ...

8:44:41 Error with Send/Receive.

8:44:41 There was an error synchronizing a contacts folder. Error : 80041004.

Then later this evening:

19:49:14 Synchronizing local changes in folder 'Contacts'

19:50:13 204 item(s) updated in online folder

19:50:18 205 item(s) updated in offline folder

Does any of that tell you anything at all?

Well, it turns out the solution was somewhat simple, even if I don't understand the why.

In Hotmail I showed 223 contacts; however, when I exports a .CSV, there were 208 entries - as there were in Outlook!

This meant that the problem must be within my Live contacts.

I have Live connected to MySpace and Facebook; apparently some of the Facebook entries were included in my Live contacts, but weren't actually MY contacts.... Odd.

So I simply clicked each contact, edited, and (re?)saved -- poof! Outlook synced almost immediately!

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction, Diane, as well as providing some very helpful keyboard shortcuts!;)

I have finally managed to create a fully-synced network of all of my contacts: Live, Outlook, Yahoo!, Gmail, and Blackberry. :)

Thanks for sharing, it may help someone else in the future.

I knew Hotmail includes contacts from other networks if you link them but never considered that was your problem.

Agreed!

As an interesting side note, even when resaving the contacts so that now sync to Outlook, OTHER programs still have a problem with those contacts. The reason seems to be that the contacts are saved with only NAMES. Previously, when I'd import a contact from Facebook (or MySpace), they would automatically be imported with the users' email addresses. Obviously, as a security concern, it looks like that was changed at some point; so now, all that you really import is a name. And, from within Hotmail, a link to their social network page with pic.

For others who run into this problem, if you want those contacts to properly sync with your others, it seems that you need to edit them to include an email address or a phone number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Sharing Contacts via Live Using Outlook 2
E Work uses live accounts for emails for all employees. Can we use the outlook calendar to give the employees an universal work schedule calendar? Using Outlook 1
T Can't send email through connected account (outlook.live.com) - goes to Drafts folder Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
J Live Meeting Location populate from body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Diane Poremsky "Live" Group Calendar Tools Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Disable Live Preview in Outlook and Word Using Outlook 0
L Showing @live account in outlook 2013 calendar as private appointment Using Outlook 1
R Cannot Synchronize Outlook To Windows Live Hotmail Account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
L Cannot send emails through @live.co.uk account in outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
L Cannot send emails through @live.co.uk account in outlook 2013 Using Outlook 2
I syncing outlook 2007 with live. com Using Outlook 4
V iCloud and Outlook 2007 iCloud - Initial setup with live data on all machines Using Outlook 2
P How to fetch ALL (not only Inbox) emails from Hotmail/live server (by POP3)? Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2007 and Live Calendar Stopped Synching Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
J Outlook Calendar will not sync with Windows Live.com account Using Outlook 9
H Importing Windows Live Mail Contact into Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
C migrating from Windows Live Mail over to Outlook 2010 Problems ... Using Outlook 2
D How to correct Outlook Connector Live ID Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
B Live meeting templates Using Outlook 1
D Please help. My live.edu mail will not sync. Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
S Trouble setting up Outlook Connector to sync with windows live Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky Facebook and Live Providers for Social Connector Using Outlook 2
P Windows Live Calendar sync Outlook Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
B how do i sync windows live calendar with my Blackberry Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
U how to export my calendar to windows live calendar Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
A RE: outlook 2003 and live.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
G Apply Custom Contacts form to all existing Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
L Applying new form to existing contacts -- MessageClass Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Bardiferous Weird Contacts Behavior - Can't find any in any address book, but they're in there Using Outlook 3
S client lost 3K contacts when office 365 for mac account deleted from company exchange server Using Outlook 5
O How to sync (one way) contacts between two Outlook (exchange) accounts? Using Outlook 0
P How to clear out all contacts in iCloud, so I can use iCloud-based sync program Using Outlook 1
R How to prevent corrupted Notes format in Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook 0
K Outlook 365 After migrating to Outlook 365, some contacts display in emails with prefixes Using Outlook 0
kburrows Outlook or Phone Combining Contacts? Using Outlook 0
Witzker Add a text line at the end of the note field in all selected Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
G Add contacts birthday to calendar Using Outlook 4
R How to force Outlook to use plain text in notes for Contacts? Using Outlook 1
S Cannot print Contacts Using Outlook 7
V Backup Calendar, Contacts, Tasks in an POP3 data file Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 365 Outlook 2016/365 Contacts Lose Info when Favorited to the To-Do Bar Using Outlook 2
D Advanced e-Mail search on from/to contact group only searches for first 20 contacts in group Using Outlook 0
P Outlook calendar and contacts sync problem-outlook disconnects Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
K Font Sizing in Custom Form Regions for Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Outlook - hidden contacts? Using Outlook 2